Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

How to Password Protecting Admin Directory?

Quote Reply
How to Password Protecting Admin Directory?
Can someone explain to me the best way to do this? Surely Alex would have devised Links to work much like the control panel for UBB, but nope Smile

BfB
Quote Reply
Re: How to Password Protecting Admin Directory? In reply to
The best way to do this, especially since you want Alex to have provided the way to do it, is to download Alex's FileMan script and install it. You can then use it to password protect ANY directory.

By the way, why do you think Alex should devise a control panel much like the one in UBB? Alex didn't write UBB, he only installed it and lets us use it. Since it is shareware, he can't use the code it contains.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
 http://faq.web2010.com/htaccess.htm

--mark
Quote Reply
Hi,

Also if you don't have access to .htaccess, I have a password protection scheme I coded for the admin script. Two actually...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Links/Modifications/Version_2.x/

One called CGI Lock-Down the other is Admin Shut Down. Though if you have the ability to use .htaccess I must admit it is very likely to be your best choice.

Rod
Quote Reply

Quote:
By the way, why do you think Alex should devise a control panel much like the one in UBB? Alex didn't write UBB, he only installed it and lets us use it. Since it is shareware, he can't use the code it contains.

No, but all he has to do is look at the script, get a good understanding of it, and build one easily. Heck if he can build links he can build a control panel that asks for an administrator password much like UBB does when you want to modify anything in the control panel. I use UBB on my BBS so I know pretty much what it is. I have installed quite a few hacks on it as well. Oh, and mine isn't shareware Smile I bought it!

Take care,

BfB/
Musclestang.com
Quote Reply

Quote:
Oh, and mine isn't shareware. I bought it!

Smile Actually, you paid a fee for a license to use it. The program still belongs to the author and, if the license is like most I have seen, it can be revoked.

As a side note, Alex has indicated that one of his projects for links is to add a windows-based installation program... maybe that will end up being what you are asking for.
Quote Reply
Bobsie,

Now that is a cool idea he really should try to work on when he gets a chance (not that he already hasn't). I also think that Mr. UBB ought to check into this as well, as it is more labor intensive, although their directions are SUPERB on installation. Very to the point and w/ pix as well.

Oh, btw, I finally figured out how to password protect. Seems that the last time I used my webplus control panel that comes preinstalled from my HOST that it didn't work and killed my first install of Links so I was skeptic on using it again. I got brave it VIOLA!!! it worked Wink

Take care and thanx for all your help!

BfB/
Musclestang.com