Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

How do move links from one server to another?

Quote Reply
How do move links from one server to another?
Hi!

Not sure this goes in this section.. let me know if I need to post to discussion.

I have links running fine on my old server but have recently gotten a new server and want to move it with the rest of my site. I found that it worked fine when I re-installed from scratch on the new server but ran into problems when I tried to incorporate the old data. After much "fidgeting" the links pages come up fine but none of the cgi programs work at this time. (admin.cgi tried to download??!!) It's a mess!

After re-installing links on the new server what files should be moved to maintain the current data?

I'm currently using templates btw.. do they need to be moved and, if so, are there any changes which need to be made?

BTW: My new site does NOT have shell access so all work has to be done via FTP. So I can't use unix commands for any of this.

Old site: http://home.one.net/~elise/soberdykes/pages/

New Site: http://www.soberdykes.org/links/

Thanks!
Sharon F.
soberdykes@iname.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do move links from one server to another? In reply to
1) Regarding your cgi scripts...You have to make sure that you have the correct PERL PATH for your new server and that you are correctly referencing the links.cfg file. Also, you need to make sure that you have the new absolute path on your new server for the require statement for the links.cfg file in the admin.cgi script.

2) Moving templates...the only thing you have to do is give it global Read and Write permissions ---> 666 (rw-rw-rw-).

3) You can change permissions of files using the Properties option in your FTP program or typing in the command line box the same commands that you used in your shell account. If you don't know how to do this...refer to your FTP documentation and manuals.

BTW: Make sure that all the variables in the links.cfg file are set appropriately to your new server's paths (ABSOLUTE) and virtual paths (VIRTUAL).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 16, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi!

Looking over my post I see I put in so much stuff it obscured the main question Smile The site installed just fine but the problem came when I tried to put the old data into the new links site.

Which files do I move to get all my links and data back? The full /pages/ directory? Just the backup files? Templates?

I'm sure I moved too much last time.. hence the problem.

Thanks!
Sharon F.
Quote Reply
Just move all your data files into the data directory and change the permission of ALL the files in the data directory.

Then change the permission of your new pages directory to 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

Then BUILD ALL! The pages will be created by the nph-build.cgi file. YOU DO NOT NEED TO TRANSFER ALL THE index.html or index.shtml files in the /pages/ directory.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks!

That's just what I needed Smile

Sharon
Quote Reply
Good.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Re: [Eliot] How do move links from one server to another? In reply to
I've tried all these things and still the cgi programs will not function.
What could be wrong?