Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Hiding behind password????

Quote Reply
Hiding behind password????
Hi, and thnx for reading,

My problem is that altough my admin works great, my actual site doesnt do s**t!!

None of the links work, so i'm thinking the links.cfg file, which is in a password protected directory. ('cos the script told me too!!)

I had trouble early on with a few perl modules which my web host assures me are now loaded. (including strict.pm & time/local.pm)

I'm trying to run the script from the index page, should i move the links .cfg script to my www/htdocs directory???

thnx in advance

Richie
Quote Reply
Re: Hiding behind password???? In reply to
I wouldn't put the .cfg file there, it's wide open for ppl to look at. are you sure all your var's are right in the .cfg file?
Quote Reply
No...

Here are some things to check:

1) Make sure that you have set the $build_root_path and $build_root_url variables to outside of the /cgi-bin/ directory. They should be built under your ROOT directory.

2) Make sure that the tags are correct in your template files. For reference look at the list of tags that can be used in each template file.

3) Make sure that your tags are on SEPARATE LINES in the template files, like the following:

Code:
<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%endif%>

4) Make sure that you have built your index before checking your LINKS directory. Use the Build All option in the LINKS MANAGER.

If none of these suggestions work or shed light, then please post a link to your LINKS directory, so that we can see what is happening.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi, thnx for your reply

I hope your not talking about the root_path, root_url etc,

'cos if you are i'll have to kill ya

only joking...i've tried all the combinations i can think of for the paths...but still nothing. (maybe i missed something however)

If my links.cfg file was bad then would my admin work perfect??? maybe i messed around too much and should just start again!!

cheers

richie
Quote Reply
Not necessarily. While the LINKS MANAGER may work...in terms of accessing LINK pages that are built below the /cgi-bin/ directory, on most servers, you will have a problem accessing those built pages.

Also, if you are experiencing problems with the nph files, then you need to follow the instructions for editing the nph files in the FAQ in the Resource Center.

And your rapid response leads me to believe that you did not confirm all my suggestions...it takes longer than that to careful debug and target shoot scripts especially with the long list of suggestions I gave!

Quote:
'cos if you are i'll have to kill ya

I do not know you at all...and posting comments like those can be misconstrued as threatening, even if you qualify it as joking...which I don't know your flavor of joking...so please refrain from posting these types of comments.

Thank you.

Regards,
Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
sorry elliot

posted that in response to virtualmd hadn't even seen your reply,

i am checking your suggestions now

thnx

richie

P.S thnx for your you prompt reply Smile
Quote Reply
You're welcome. Well, a suggestion is to read all replies before responding to other users in your Topic.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Elliot, you are a genius,

Not sure what part sorted it but it works...(for now Smile)

I owe You A Beer next time your in Scotland.

Cheers

Richie

P.S slightly different sense of humour, but theres still time for the americans to learn...lol (and that was a JOKE by the way!!)

Quote Reply
Good...It is best to keep a history file or at least put Comments (with # in front of text) to record your changes. I do this in all my perl and cgi scripts. Helps...if I need to go back a step and delete a Mod that I don't need or want anymore.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi again

I know, i should record all revisions to my script, i tend to jump in at the deep end, but luckily their are a few life guards sitting about doing nothing..lol Smile

Figured out it was doing the Build all that sorted it, didn't realise this was part of setting up the script, just thought it was a test proccess!?

Anyway its sorted now...just the email to set up and that should be easy eh!!!...lol

thnx again man

richie
Quote Reply

Quote:
few life guards sitting about doing nothing

HARDLY...While I am running tests in my sites, researching various projects, or networking with colleagues; I visit Gossamer Threads to help people.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
All joking aside …I Appreciate you taking the time.

Thankyou

Richie