Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Header and Footer

Quote Reply
Header and Footer
I know this is a popular subject, but after reading all the info I can find here, I still can't figure out how to get these working.

I want to use the header and footer fields for each category so I'll have a different header and footer for each category page. The readme file says I can enter a filename to pull the header or footer from a file, but all I get is the filename as text where the header should be.

I assume I'm entering the incorrect code into the header and footer fields, so I'd like to know the correct code for calling a file to use as the header.

For example, if my header.txt file is in the same directory as my templates, how would I pull this file? Any special characters needed? Siimply enetering header.txt does nothing more than produce "header.txt" on my category page.

I tried the full path, but ended up with the full path as text in place of the header in the category.

What am I missing here?

I love this script and was amazed by how easily I installed it and got it customized to fit my needs....now if I can just get this header thing figured out, I'll be a really happy camper!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Header and Footer In reply to
Do you have the header and footer files uploaded in the header and footer directories that are defined in the links.cfg file?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It took me a little while, but I got it figured out.

Thanks again...great script! Smile
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Header and Footer In reply to
Two questions:

1) The default directory specified in the script is /header/ but it doesn't specify which is the root. I tried adding this directory with a test file in the CGI bin Links directory, in the root of the server, and in the root of the Links directory. None worked.

2) Is there then an include that must be added to the script?

Perhaps this is the issue: I couldn't find a manual for the software. Is there one or should I be relying on this forum?

Finally, Links 2.0 doesn't appear to have been updated since 2000. Are there plans to do so? The back end is somewhat clunky but the actual functionality is good, so I'm holding out for an update. If not, what are my options?

Nigel Parry
<A HREF="http://nigelparry.net/" TARGET="_new">nigelparry.net</A>
Quote Reply
Re: [nigelparry] Header and Footer In reply to
1) There should be a "path" variable associated with the HEADER variable in the links.cfg file.

2) There is no manual other than the README file, which you should read.

3) There are no plans to "upgrade" Links 2.0. All GT efforts are focused on their SQL based products and the GT Community script (discussed before in the forums).
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me