Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Frontpage Deletes The script files and Pages

Quote Reply
Frontpage Deletes The script files and Pages
Help please,
I am using Frontpage 2000 & windows 98. My server has the FP extensions installled.
I used Cute FTP and successfully installed Links 2.0 to the server.
Here's the crunch!
I then wanted to be sure that when I used Front Page to publish changes to the rest of my web, that it wouldn't affect the links script. So I took advice in the Front Page newsgroup and created a cgi-bin and links folder in my frontpage disk based web and converted them to subwebs. Subsequently when I published updates to the rest of my web with frontpage, as advised, I made certain not to select the "include subwebs" option. Despite this, Frontpage systematically deleted my files!
Please advise what I should do....
I am a bit of a newbie with both cgi and front page, so please explain step by step...
Thanks
annii

Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Deletes The script files and Pages In reply to
Try another FTP Client. CuteFTP is a good one at http://www.cuteftp.com

Hope this sorts things out...

Andy

http://www.ace-installer.com
webmaster@Ace-installer.com
Quote Reply
As I said in my post, I used cute ftp for the script upload...that worked fine. The problem is with Frontpage 2000 functionality and how it interacts with cgi scripts and other files uploaded or created outside of the frontpage environment.

Thanks
annii

Quote Reply
Well, I would have thought you would know this. If you look at your sites FAQ's it probably clearly said that CGI + F.P. Extensions = ProblemsFrown. So my advice is to get rid of F.P. Extensions and just use CGI for the things you are currently using F.P. Extensions for on your site....

Andy

http://www.ace-installer.com
webmaster@Ace-installer.com
Quote Reply
Greetings!

I currently use FP2000 to do any minor updating of my site live.. Do not use it to upload your files from your own PC otherwise it does exactly what you have found, use a FTP agent like cute or Ws_ftp.

After using FP now for a number of years now , my use of it is getting less and less. I am tending more to update my pages offline using Editplus and then ftp them from within that program to my site..

One other thing you might need to check out - you need to set FP in the Tools - Page Options - to preserve existing html. This way FP will not screw up any of the links coding set in the templates. It will leave them exactly as they are.

Also under the compatibility tab - set it to write for Navigator 4 and above only. This saves any hassle of any page developed being IE and NS compatibile.

Hope that helps.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory
Quote Reply
OK thanks,
Yes that was useful info, I've decided to ditch the FP extensions! The script is more useful to me :)
I will still use FP to edit html but FTP to upload.
Problem fixed!