Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error Message : unable to open cgi-bin/link2/admin/data/links.db.

Quote Reply
Error Message : unable to open cgi-bin/link2/admin/data/links.db.
After installing the Links program i was origianlly having problems with the can't locate error, so i removed the $db_file_path option on the db.pl, db_utils.pl, admin_html.pl and links.def areas of the admin.cgi file and the main page of the Links Admin Menu cam up but now when i click
on either add, view, delete, etc i get the error "Error Message : unable to open cgi-bin/link2/admin/data/links.db. Reason: No such file or directory
Script Location : /usr/home/kmcluk/cgi-bin/link2/admin/admin.cgi
"
Any ideas people?

Much appreciated.

------------------
Keith McL

www.resources-webmasters.com
Quote Reply
Re: Error Message : unable to open cgi-bin/link2/admin/data/links.db. In reply to
Restore all files back to the defaults as they came in the links distribution file.

Then go into links.cfg and re-do your paths. The error shows:

cgi-bin/link2/admin

That isn't a full path, and you need a / at the beginning

--mark

------------------
Due to repeated requests for support via ICQ, I am once again offering support online.

The ONLY number I will accept requests on is #53788453. Messages sent to my other numbers will not pass through to me, as I have security settings set to ignore messages from users not on that list.

I don't know how often I will be active on this number, as it is for only when I am free to offer assistance.

Could this signature be any longer? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Error Message : unable to open cgi-bin/link2/admin/data/links.db. In reply to
I have reloaded all the files and have managed to get a little further.

Now i get "unable to open home page: /links/pages/index.html. Reason: No such file or directory".

I have double & treble checked all chmods and cannot find where i have gone wrong.

The only way i could get the files to work for some strange reason was to delete the $db_lib_path/ , $db_hits_path/ and $db_script_path/ parts from all cgi scripts.

It works perfectly fine up until it tries to build the index.html file.

I haven't tried creating one as i preciously read another post saying it didn't do any good.

One thing i have noticed is that if i restore the links.db file from the original on my Pc and then try chmoding it sometimes gives the error "operation not permitted. It may not be supported on remote site", but this is not the case as i have successfully chmoded it before.

I'm beginning to loose faith in this script.
Any help much be most appreciated.

------------------
Keith McL

Quote Reply
/links/pages/

again, this is not a full absolute path.

--mark

------------------
Due to repeated requests for support via ICQ, I am once again offering support online.

The ONLY number I will accept requests on is #53788453. Messages sent to my other numbers will not pass through to me, as I have security settings set to ignore messages from users not on that list.

I don't know how often I will be active on this number, as it is for only when I am free to offer assistance.

Could this signature be any longer? :)
Quote Reply
Your web host will have to tell you what the absolute paths are.

--mark
Quote Reply
When you say that /links/pages is not the absolulte path i'm still not sure what is.

I want the page(s) to be located at www.resources-webmasters.com/links/pages/

Is this what i should put in and does it go into the links.cfg file or another file?

Thanks for your help so far.

------------------
Keith McL