Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Error: Unable to Modify Category

Quote Reply
Error: Unable to Modify Category
Well, just when I thought I had things working....I tried modifying a Category...I just wanted to change its name & description, but I get an error;

Name (Invalid format)

What would be invalid about;

Misc. Links

I had this same problem earlier and was able to use underscores in place of spaces and that seemed to correct this same error, but not in this case.

Please advise. TIA!!
Quote Reply
Re: Error: Unable to Modify Category In reply to
The period and space....

You need to use the following:

Code:
Misc_Links

(As stated in the README file.)

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
This is rather odd....at first I was unable to correct this error by replacing spaces with underscores...even tried 3 times....but I must have overlooked something because now I can correct Invalid Format by just making the Category name one...i.e. removing all spaces.

I must have messed something else up...any clues would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Thanks for your help Eliot....

I just went through that Readme.txt, but could find no instructions stating that the Category Name could not include spaces. The readme I'm working with is dated 2/16/99...I did a search for name, but couldn't find what you referred to above....do I have an old readme????

It seems rather odd that one would be restricted from using spaces in Category names since the demo has category names with spaces. I am on an Apache server and they can use spaces in directory names....and it seems that Category Names are used as directory names by Links.
Quote Reply
Welp, the codes I provided you are the ones that you should use in the Name field in the Category modify options...

Quote:
This is rather odd....at first I was unable to correct this error by replacing spaces with underscores...even tried 3 times....

AND did you take out the period as I told you before is also causing the problem?????

I betcha you didn't. Wink

Best of luck!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 14, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Got ya....

Welp, the codes I provided you are the ones that you should use in the Name field in the Category modify options...

From what I can understand, you're saying that Catagory Names cannot include spaces?!

But that seems to be contrary to what I see in the demo of links ver. 2. Why is there a difference?

Quote Reply
*sigh*

Listen, the _ is changed to spaces in web pages that you view in LINKS via the sub build_clean routine in the db_utils.pl file.

BUT YOU HAVE TO ADD THE CATEGORIES AS I HAVE GIVEN YOU IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BE STORED IN THE CATEGORIES.DB FILE!

Do you understand now???!?!?!?!?!?!?

I hope so.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I've been wondering if and how to reply to your last post AnthroRules....I would have rather taken this to e-mail, but you provided no e-mail address....

It seems your patience is not what it could be to help folks dealing with things somewhat beyond their reach....this topic is not the only place where I have seen this.

I know I've got a lot to learn, but your tone in the previous reply does not encourage me to ask further questions, however astute or naive.

Further, your earlier replies were not all that complete....e.g.

Quote:
You need to use the following:
code:
-----------------------------------
Misc_Links
-----------------------------------
(As stated in the README file.)

Had you stated specifically that spaces in Category Names had to be replaced with an underscore, your "code:" example would have made sense.

When I follwed up indicating that I could not find what you referred to in the Readme, and that I might have an old version, you offered nothing to indicate whether I was or not.

In your final reply, you finally made clear the specific need to replace spaces with underscores. Too bad it was in such an exasperated tone, and that I'm such a dolt that you had to be specific.

Kindest regards, newbutton
Quote Reply
I apologize for my lack of patience...But I was providing you a solution to your problem and I felt that you were not reading my Replies and suggestions I've provided you.

And I was giving you complete codes that you need to use for spaces in category names. If you were more specific in your earlier posts about the confusion you were experiencing, I might have been able to address your problems more quickly and effectively.

But you weren't.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 15, 2000).]