Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Detailed view
can someone please explain how the detailed page works? how do i create a detailed page (dont see anything for it in the admin) and where does it show up on the main page (ie how do they link?)

very confused...thanks
frank
Quote Reply
Re: Detailed view In reply to
Search the LINKS Modification and Discussion Forums regarding this Thread. This has been discussed quite a few times in those forums.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
hi thank you for your response...i searched thru the mod section and it just got me more confused...

i see that there's a detailed template but my question is...once i've added a link myself into a category using the admin page..how do i then create a detailed page for that link? do i have to modified the code to do this?

thank you
frank
Quote Reply
The detailed pages are generated for ALL web pages. All you have to do is add a link to it in the following manner:

Code:
<a href="<%build_detail_url%>/<%ID%>.shtml">Detailed Page</a>

I don't understand your confusion. Detailed pages can be used for many purposes...the best being in my opinion is Site Reviews.

I would recommend reading the Thread about adding a field called isDetailed, which will reduce the number of detailed pages in your directory.

If you have a large directory (4,000+) links with detailed pages, your disk space will soon be used up quickly and also building these pages will take forever.

Just a friendly suggestion though.

I REALLY hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
hi thank you so much for your help but i think im still missing something...something obvious im sure...

so when i add a link to a category, the program generates a detailed page for that particular link? if so my questions are:
1) how do i edit the detailed page for that link? for instance, if one of my links is dogs in the animals category and i want to add a picture of a dog in the detailed page for the dog link, how would i go about doing this?
2) once i've edited the detailed page, how do i get it to show up next to the associated link in the directory?
3) the code you gave me above, where would i add that in my page? which page?

thank you once again, as you can tell im a newbie trying to learn as i go...

frank