Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Designing Look of pages?

Quote Reply
Designing Look of pages?
Can I use my use my html authoring program to customize the look of the "Links" pages (rather than the online editor)?

I am very new to web site creation, and just installed Links 2.0 to test it out, however after looking things over I am confused about how to customize the layouts.

Can I simply edit the template pages as I would any other html page? I assume since they are referred to as templates, that Links uses these files to build all the final html pages?
I don't find the online editor to be very intuitive at first glance, and don't see how this tool will allow me to effectively design the look of the pages. I would be more comfortable using my html editor that I am familiar with. Can I do this?

Someone in another post referred to using html.pl versus templates. Is this an either/or choice? Can someone point me to where this is all documented? The read me covers installation, but I am not currently aware of an documentation on the features of the script or how to use it effectively.

Kind of lost and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
-V
Quote Reply
Re: Designing Look of pages? In reply to
Greetings V Silly!

Short answer - yes you can edit the template files as per a normal html page.

For template users it has a home.html file which when you run build builds index.html.

It uses the script called site.template.html.pl which you can alter or puts modifications in to do whatever.

For non template users it uses the script file site.html.pl which one changes to change the index.html.

Hope I said that clear enough.

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Thanks Ian,
Is there anything one must do to tell Links whether you are using the html.pl or templates?
Is this automatic?
Best,
-V
Quote Reply
Hi V Silly!

Yes you do have to tell links whether you are using templates or not.

You will find all those settings in the link.cfg.

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory