Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Common Problem with building pages

Quote Reply
Common Problem with building pages
I ran into the common problem of:

Building What's New Page . . .
CGI Error:
Message: invalid directory name: /usr/local/www/www.digital-web.com/classifieds/new. Reason: contains illegal characters.

...my question is, what is and isn't a valid character.. this is a valid path for working with apachy... perhaps you could make a list of what is and isn't valid?
Quote Reply
Re: Common Problem with building pages In reply to

Quote:
perhaps you could make a list of what is and isn't valid?

That is a server problem and misconfiguration on your part...not really the responsibility of Gossamer Threads or any other cgi/perl programmer that distributes scripts.

Wink

I think you are using the incorrect absolute path to your directories where you are building LINKS pages.

I would double check the path.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
That is the correct path on my sever. I confirmed it by using FTP and changing to that exact directory from the root level of the server. It is a virtual server host provider, so there are several site set up under the /usr/local/www/ folder.. such as: /usr/local/www/www.domainname.com/ I am guessing it doesn't like the "." in the path... correct? If links 1.1 (ya, I know I am running an old beast) doesn't care if there is a "." in the directory name, then what else could cause this problem... I checked all the other locations and settings in links.cfg and they appear to be correct. Keep in mind I had this working before on a previous server.
Quote Reply
Again...this is a server error you are receiving...and you stated that you are using LINKS 2.0 in a NEW server.

Contact your hosting company for EXACT details for using custom CGI scripts. I still think you are using the incorrect absolute path.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Just to make sure we have the facts straight. I am running Link 1.1, the same version I ran on the OLD sever... it is now on a NEW server and I have changed all the paths to the correct absolute paths according to my host provider as I previously said. I will, however, for the sake of being thorough, contact my host provider and double check the path with him. I will get back to you once I receive a response. Thanks for being patient with me.

- Nick
Quote Reply
I confirmed the correct path with my host provider. The path has been correct all along. I did, however find the following in your code:

# Allowable extra characters. The program defaults to let you use
# letters, numbers, the "/" and the "_". Never allow a "." and only
# allow the minimum chars that work for you.
$build_allow_char = "-";

Which leads me to believe that your code in fact is the issue. I believe my host provider can work around this problem by modifying the sctipt. I jsut thought you should know that this block is in the code.

- Nick
Quote Reply

Quote:
Which leads me to believe that your code in fact is the issue.

It ain't my script...I am in no means associated with Gossamer Threads.

Welp, I tried to help.

Best of luck with your LINKS project.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center