Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Cgi scripts stopped working!

Quote Reply
Cgi scripts stopped working!
Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden, the cgi files stopped working! Now I get a 500 internal error when I try to access any file that ends in .cgi The other files seem to work fine. Anyone know what the problem might be?
Quote Reply
Re: Cgi scripts stopped working! In reply to
If you have telnet access, try logging in to your admin directory and running the .cgi script (using the command "perl whatever.cgi" -- change "whatever" to the script name) and see what error you get.
Quote Reply
I didn't get an error... It just loaded the whole HTML file when I did that.
Quote Reply
Which cgi script did you run? If it was something like add.cgi and it loaded the page containing the add form that a user fills in, then obviously, the script is working. So now we have to determine why it is not working from the web and why it returns the 500 infernal... er... internal error.

Have either you done anything to any of the scripts recently? Maybe your ISP had to do a restore from backup and the restored files contain the wrong path to perl at the top? Maybe your ISP moved perl? If you have done nothing whatsoever to the scripts, I would look to the ISP. Scripts do not stop running by themselves, so there has to be a reason for it.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I think Bobsie is mosty definately right...seeing as very few script run time errors will bring up The "Oh So Helpful 500 Message" because Alex did an extensive job on the script, squashing virtually every instance of this most useless error message ever devised!