Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Categories within Categories

Quote Reply
Categories within Categories
I have create some categories with 3 level in my Links as:
(1st Level) 1 Category > (2nd Level) categories A, B, C> (3 rd Level) Within A Category I have A1, A2, A3

However, my UNIX directory is ok but in the HTML AT (2nd Level), All my A1, A2, A3 Categories are named. Why I have this problem, how to solve it?

Thank you.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Categories within Categories In reply to
When you create a category called Computers, that is its name. When you then create a category under Computers, such as A, then you now have a category named Computers/A. If you create A1 under A, you now have a category named Computers/A/A1. This is the way it is supposed to work. You end up with three categories: Computers, Computers/A, and Computers/A/A1. It helps to give more meaningful names to your categories though, so that they will be more intuitive to users.

When the pages are built, those category names show up on the category pages. The subcategories (3d level) names list should only show up on the 2d level's page. The second level category names list should only show up on the 1st level's page. The first level category names list should only show up on the home page.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Bobsie, thanks for your help, but in fact, i have do that, so some category can work fine but some cannot, this let me so strange, as you see at http://search.asianhome.net/site/Computers/

the third level category with put 2gether with the first and second category while their URL is correct! Some of other category also found that problem! Have you got any idea?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Okay, I think I see what you are speaking of. If I am not mistaken, that is happening because of a bug in nph-build.cgi. If you download the latest links2.zip and replace your nph-build.cgi, I think your problem will be solved. You can get it here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ts/source/links2.zip

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Bobsie, thank you very much, it works fine now! =)

By the way, can you tell me how can I type the Chinese character in the category properly? I have seen the Link resources center and just can find to type spanish, french etc.. in the category.

Thank you very much!
Quote Reply
I can't help with that at all since I have never done it with any foreign (to me) characters. Perhaps someone else might be able to help.