Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Building Pages

Quote Reply
Building Pages
In running Staggered Build (Auto) in the admin.cgi I receive the error message "Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied"

I have followed VERY carefully all the additional instructions in the FAQ on CHMOD for Directories, and have the pages directory above the cgi-bin.

I also receive the message that I do not have permission to access the backup directory when this script is running.

I have tried to beat this for some time. What am I doing wrong?

David Olley
Anglo & Foreign International Limited,
Winchester
England
Quote Reply
Re: Building Pages In reply to
The pages directory should be off the document root (htdocs). Are you sure that all the absolute paths, URLs, and permissions are correct?

Martin Webster
--
Cebidae's UK Internet Resource
http://www.cebidae.co.uk/
Quote Reply
My host has configured the Directory "public_html" as the root. ie my site index.html and all normal docs are located there. I created a subdirectory "links" beneath that, and placed the "pages" directory in there.

I have the correct absolute paths and URLs (I already run DBMan successfully), and I am certain that all permissions are correct. This is why I am baffled as to why I keep being told that I do not have permission to access "pages".
I have only made the minimal config changes to the scripts, and am using Templates to build pages. And yes, I am building the pages.
The other thing the nphbuild script cannot access is the Backup directory, but it continues to build after reporting that.
Thanks for your comments.

David Olley
Winchester
England
Quote Reply
Have you tried changing the permission of the backup folder too?

Martin Webster
--
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply, Martin. I only seem to have received half your reply. I did not get the bit where you advised what to change the backup directory permission to.

It is set at 755, which I believe is correct.

I am using the very helpful permission list posted by Juan G on 28th May, which, since it has not been corrected, I take to be accurate.

David Olley
Winchester
England
Quote Reply
Hi David

Not sure what the readme file states but my backup folder is set to 777.

What host are you using, I have found that with most UK hosts you can post links under the public_html folder, makes life so much easier example

public_html/links/cgi-bin/admin/ etc etc
/links/pages

It is simply a matter of unziping links, and make a direct copy to your site, change links.cfg, and chmod your files, and hey presto works great, a lot tidier and nicer than bits under public_html and other bits under the cgi-bin.

This way you can have links working in less than 5 minutes.

Oh yes and check the first line (path to perl)

Good Luck
DavyC

Quote Reply
Well Martin.
777 did the trick. Just how many other CHMOD settings do I now have to recheck I wonder? I am not complaining, you understand. All these bits of help are voluntary, and much appreciated. I did not find the Readme file to be sufficiently comprehensive in its explanation of what should go where and what does what. I, of course am rather inexperienced, so much of what is needed is probably taken for granted by the experts!

David Olley
Winchester
England
Quote Reply
Glad you got it working! Sorry I didn't post all the information; but you got there in the end. Wink

Can I ask you something? Who hosts your site? I'm looking for a new host and prefer to follow-up recommendations.

Martin Webster
--