Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Build stops for no reason.

Quote Reply
Build stops for no reason.
My links has been running fine for about 3 weeks but now the build pages routine just stops building the categories for no apparent reason. It dosnt stop building in exactly the same spot every time. Sometimes it nearly completes the building other times not. I get no error messages it just stops building. I have approx 1400 links. Maybe the server is cutting me off.
Has anyone else had the same problem or got any ideas as to why this is happening?
Quote Reply
Re: Build stops for no reason. In reply to
Its most likly the server timing out, I had this problem way back when I first downloaed Links and was putting it to the test. If you have telnet access use it(you may need to delte the old directorys) when you use Telnet there is not as many lines as if it used HTML thus it can go a bit faster, also you will be able to see if it says "Killed" then you will know if it was the server. If you dont have Telnet access, in the nph-build.cgi under sub main { change this
# Determine if we are printing to command line, or to browser.
$use_html = 0;
if ($ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'}) { $use_html = 1; }
to this
# Determine if we are printing to command line, or to browser.
$use_html = 0;
if ($ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'}) { $use_html = 0; }
that way you can build by browser, but only show text, that may help,
Joey

------------------
Links is HOT! Get it and you will LOVE IT!
Quote Reply
Hi Joey Bost

I have telnet access. I am running into permission problems when I try to run the
nph-build.cgi from telnet.
Do I have to change any permissions before
running from telnet?

---------------------------
Building Whats New page....
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-type:text/html

<PRE>
CGI Error:unable to open Whats New page:/www/htdocs/abat/links/New/index.html

----------------------------------
any ideas?

I do not get this problem building by browser.

Quote Reply
Thanks Joey Bost

It took me a while to find out how to remove the directories once the user is "nobody". The difference in speed was incredible when building from telnet. I would recommend anyone building from browser to switch to telnet if they have it available. In my case it was minutes faster.

BevG

Quote Reply
No problem, glad I could I could help.
Thanks
Joey