Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Build Error Leads to db backups set to nobody

Quote Reply
Build Error Leads to db backups set to nobody
Hi...

A problem...or two. I can't tell yet.

I've completed installation and testing to this point with only a few minor errors. The problem listed below would appear to be a permissions error. Which it is. BUt when I went to change the permissions, the files were set to rw-r--r-- and the user was set to nobody. I KNOW that's a bad thing since now I don't have permission to change the permissions. <g>

I double checked and the script is set to build directories at 777:

$build_dir_per = 0777;

But I don't even think that would cause this. Apparently when the script created my backups, it created them from user nobody.

Is this a standard thing? If so and the permission settings for the files in my backups dir isn't the problem...what is?

I'm stuck.

My build error text follows:

Links Manager: Building Pages
Building Pages
Pages built on 12-Apr-1999 at 19:57:52
--------------------------------------------------------

Backing up database . . .
Backup exists for today.. Skipping
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.

Updating New and Popular Records . . .
What's New Cutoff: 14 days
Popular Cutoff: 2 hits

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open temp links database: /www/htdocs/solaria/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/links.db.bak. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /WWW/htdocs/solaria/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.004
Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /www/htdocs/solaria
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_HOST : www.solaria.net
HTTP_REFERER : http://www.solaria.net/cgi-solaria/links/admin/admin.cgi?display=navigation
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)
PATH : /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:.
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 166.93.76.202
REMOTE_HOST : 166-93-76-202.rmi.net
REMOTE_PORT : 1644
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /cgi-solaria/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /WWW/htdocs/solaria/cgi-bin/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-solaria/links/admin/nph-build.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@solaria.net
SERVER_NAME : www.solaria.net
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.2.6 PHP/FI-2.0b11

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Build Error Leads to db backups set to nobody In reply to
Opps...ok...

I just realized that I was looking in my backup dir for the links.db.bak file. Looking back over that error message it appears that the file should be in the data dir. But there is no file there named links.db.bak. I see links.db.

Any ideas? What would cause this file not to be created?

Chris
Quote Reply
Darn it...

I just tried running nph-build via telnet and it worked fine.

I'm a relative newbie where cgi's are concerned, but why would that make a difference? And where the heck did it find that file it was looking for? I can't see it anywhere. =)

I've got a work around, but I'd like to know why this is happening.

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
The links.db.bak file is created while links is updating the new, pop, and ratings (in case anything goes wrong). The problem with the permissions wasn't with the file itself but, rather, with the directory (data). The permissions need to be at least 755 and, if that doesn't work, then try either 775 or 777 (I don't recommend that, though, unless your admin directory is password protected).

Evidentally, you created the directories from the shell and they were assigned your userid as owner. The script runs as "nobody" (as it is supposed to) but doesn't have permissions to create files since it doesn't "own" the directory.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks Bobsie...

I have everything working now...since I ran the build from telnet. I'll run back through everything tonight though using your new permission settings for the dir.

Thanks for the help!

The program looks like it's gonan be exactly what we were looking for.

BTW: Is it just me...or does the installation instructions included in the readme not quite work? I mean I've gotten things this far, but I've had to make several changes and additional steps to what was listed in the set-up.

Is there a more complete set-up proceedue out there?

Chris
Quote Reply
So far, the readme.txt and upgrade.txt files that come with Links and messages in these support forums is all there is. If you find errors or ommissions in the instructions, you might want to let Alex know so that he can correct them.