Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Big Problems
OK, I've got some problems setting up this script on my site. One, I uploaded it, defined all the varibles in the link.cfg file, chmod all the files correctly, but when I tried to access admin.cgi, it wanted me to download the file, not run it. So I went back and I chmod 755 the admin.cgi file once again, same problem. Same problem with all my .cgi files in that directory. So then I just said, "To hell with it" and I tried to delete it, but guess what?? IT WONT DELETE!!!!! I tried to delete it via FTP and via Telnet, but to no avail. And yes I did upload all the files in ASCII. I have experience with setting up cgi and perl, but I've run out of things to do to fix it. the url to the admin.cgi script is http://www.trekgaming.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi. Better hurry to see it, I've asked my hosting provider to delete it off my the server. If anyone would be willing to set this script up for me, please e-mail me!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Problems In reply to
I tried to go to your site, but your site isn't available at the moment. (My ISP is doing system upgrades at the moment and the problem is probably on my end and not yours.)

From the sounds of things, you're using Internet Explorer 4.0 to test out Links. You need to download the files when IE prompts you to do so. If you open the files in a text editor, you'll see what your error message is. This may help you solve your problem.

As for getting your ISP to delete something for you, good luck! I've yet to find an ISP that will just delete something on a whim for a customer. Most of the time when someone has created something with a user 'nobody' the ISP will just do a chuser so that you can have control again. I would suggest installing something like Alex's FileMan or Genesis ( http://www.xav.com/ ) on your site. I've found that both programs can delete user 'nobody' files when you can't via ftp or telnet.
Quote Reply
This is the error message I get

Error including libraries: syntax error at links.cfg line 163, near "$time = &Time::Loc"
(Might be a runaway multi-line LL string starting on line 136)

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

And here are those lines

sub date_to_unix {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine must take your date format and return the time a la UNIX time().
# Some things to be careful about..
# timelocal does not like to be in array context, don't do my($time) = timelocal (..)
# int your values just in case to remove spaces, etc.
# catch the fatal error timelocal will generate if you have a bad date..
# don't forget that the month is indexed from 0!
#
my $date = shift; my $i;
my %months = map { $_ => $i++ } qw!Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec!;
my ($day, $mon, $year) = split(/-/, $date);

exists $months{$mon} or return undef;
$day = int($day); $year = $year - 1900;

require Time::Local;
my $time = 0;
eval {
$time = &Time::Local::timelocal(0,0,0, $day, $months{$mon}, $year);
};
if ($@) { die "invalid date format: $date - parsed as (day: $day, month: $months{$mon}, year: $year). Reason: $@"; }
return $time;
}

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this??
Quote Reply
What do you have between lines 130-140. The code you provided doesn't include that and the error says you may have a runaway line in line 136.
Quote Reply
This is that whole section

# Date Routines
# Your date format can be whatever you like, as long as the following
# two functions are defined &date_to_unix and &unix_to_date:
# The default is dd-mmm-yyyy.

sub date_to_unix {
# This routine must take your date format and return the time a la UNIX time().
# Some things to be careful about..
# timelocal does not like to be in array context, don't do my($time) = timelocal (..)
# int your values just in case to remove spaces, etc.
# catch the fatal error timelocal will generate if you have a bad date..
# don't forget that the month is indexed from 0!
#
my $date = shift; my $i;
my %months = map { $_ => $i++ } qw!Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec!;
my ($day, $mon, $year) = split(/-/, $date);

exists $months{$mon} or return undef;
$day = int($day); $year = $year - 1900;

require Time::Local;
my $time = 0;
eval {
$time = &Time::Local::timelocal(0,0,0, $day, $months{$mon}, $year);
};
if ($@) { die "invalid date format: $date - parsed as (day: $day, month: $months{$mon}, year: $year). Reason: $@"; }
return $time;
}

sub unix_to_date {
# This routine must take a unix time and return your date format
# A much simpler routine, just make sure your format isn't so complex that
# you can't get it back into unix time.
#
my $time = shift;
my ($sec, $min, $hour, $day, $mon, $year, $dweek, $dyear, $tz) = localtime $time;
my @months = qw!Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec!;
$year = $year + 1900;
return "$day-$months[$mon]-$year";
}

sub long_date {
# This routine is for printing a nicer date format on the what's new page. It should
# take in a date in your current format and return a new one.
my $time = shift;
$time = &date_to_unix ($time);
my ($sec, $min, $hour, $day, $mon, $year, $dweek, $dyear, $tz) = localtime $time;
my @months = qw!January February March April May June July August September October November December!;
my @days = qw!Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday!;
$year = $year + 1900;
return "$days[$dweek], $months[$mon] $day $year";
}
Quote Reply
Trekker,

Just a note, my ISP was happy to delete the files off the server. My hosting provider is http://www.communitech.net I believe. I reccommend them to everybody, you get a ton of features that they dont even list on their site. Plus their customer support is second to none
Quote Reply
Again I ask, what is at lines 130-140? None of the lines you posted show those lines.

In the archive of Links, line 136 is:

Quote:
$build_site_title = 'Gossamer Threads Links';

Your error messages says:

Quote:
Error including libraries: syntax error at links.cfg line 163, near "$time = &Time::Loc"
(Might be a runaway multi-line LL string starting on line 136)

Check your variable $build_site_title in links.cfg. If it contains an apostrophe, change it to "\'" (it must be escaped) or change the single quotes to double quotes, as in:

Quote:
$build_site_title = "Gossamer Threads Links";

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited March 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thank you, I think I found the problem, in the site title I had a ' in it. Still afraid to install it because the last time I tried to upload it, I couldnt delete it off the system!!

Oh well, I'll be daring and try it again. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped, it is greatly appreachiated