Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Admin Password - Locked Out

Quote Reply
Admin Password - Locked Out
I've recently changed web hosts and in the process had to re-install Links 2. I had it working perfectly on the last server but now I have found that when I try to log in to the admin section, a pop-up password box comes up with the login name and password from my old host's account. As far as I can remember this was a password set up on their sever, not as part of the Links files. In other words, it shouldn't exist on this server. Right??

Can anyone explain how I can login as it won't accept the login details for the new server either (401 error).
Quote Reply
Re: [Matrix One] Admin Password - Locked Out In reply to
You either need to edit .htaccess to show the new paths of your host...or just delete .htaccess and .htpasswd, and re-protect it again.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Admin Password - Locked Out In reply to
Hi Andy.

That's what I reckoned but I can't even see a .htaccess or .htpasswd file on the server. I assume it would be under the admin file. That's where it was last time. Is this server assigned or uploaded with Links?
Quote Reply
Most servers don't let you see it....but it is normally there. Try doing a DELETE .htaccess when in the folder....(via a custom command)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
But won't that muck up password protection for everything else on the sever?
Quote Reply
Shouldn't do. Do you have SSH/Telnet access?

If so, log into it...and then 'cd' to the admin panel. Then type 'ls' to display a listing of the files in that directory. If it exists, then type 'pico .htaccess'. That will brig up an editing program in SSH, which will allow you to edit the path of the .htpasswd file. Once you have changed it....hold down Ctrl, and press Q. It will then ask if you want to save...obviously say yes.

Hope that helps Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've found the .htaccess file by typing it in on the url address bar of my ftp folder, but I don't understand how to do a custom commnad. Can you tell me how I do this. I normally use WS-FTP or a folder via Explorer.
Quote Reply
Yes I have SSL / Telnet (that's what it says on the Control Panel) but I've never used it before and it looks a bit daunting. I tried to log in using it but it said SSH was not enabled on my server.

Is there another way of doing this without having to learn all about Telnet? I'm in a hurry to get my site all back up and running quickly.
Quote Reply
What FTP program do you use?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
WS_FTP and I've just downloaded the trial of CuteFTP.
Quote Reply
Ok..I have CuteFTP Pro...so it may be slightly different. First of all, log into the FTP site...then, in CuteFTP Pro, it is;

Commands (top menu) > Custom Commands >Edit Custom Commands.

Then make a new one...and include the following in it;

DELE .htaccess

Then do a similar thing for .htpasswd.

Now goto the admin directory, and run these commands via;

Commands (top menu) > Custom Commands > Whatever you called it.

Hope that helps/works.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks again, but I contacted my hosts' supoort dept and they just deleted the whole folder so I could start again.

Now to start on the (nightmare) permissions again!

Jeremy