Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Admin Build Ok, Telnet Permission Error

Quote Reply
Admin Build Ok, Telnet Permission Error
Hi, I have a strange problem. When I build using the admin.cgi I can completely build but when I try to build by telnet using "perl /path/to/my/admin/nph-build.cgi" (no "") the build stops at building the first directory /New with a permission error.

I have all the directories chmod at 777. Anything less causes even my admin.cgi to fail with a permission error.

Why could admin execute the nph-build.cgi and have no permission errors but telnet does? Any ideas?

John Hesch

Quote Reply
Re: Admin Build Ok, Telnet Permission Error In reply to
You need to change /New/ directory to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) because that is probably the cause of your problem.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot, I did, that's what's so strange is the directory is chmod 777.

John

Quote Reply
Don't know what to tell ya then!

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Why could admin execute the nph-build.cgi and have no permission errors but telnet does? Any ideas?
Because when your directories were created (when you built for the first time, using the Admin center) the directory ownerships were assigned to user Nobody (or user Web, or whatever your server uses).

When you build from telnet, you are user YourUserName, and that username doesn't have permission to build in the directories.

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Thank you Mark, appreciate the explanation. Now I will see if my domain host can fix that for me.

John