Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Admin Access problems

Quote Reply
Admin Access problems
Hi Guys

I have a strange problem I need to take care of and am a little stumped. What is the best way to protect the admin.cgi and the admin/index.html file from outsiders. The way my server is set up uses a web panel to ad password protection for directories, when I password protect the links/admin directory I receive the following problem:

1. When I browse some sections of links in my web browser such as the what's new section and cool section the password window pops up! You can just hit cancel and the page will continue to load but that is not the point. I do not want any password windows poping up through my web site, only when trying to access the admin area.

2. What is the best way to protect the admin directory to avoid the above problem.

3. What do I need to do to place the admin.cgi and admin.index.html files in a directory somewhere else on my site that only I know about. This way I can avoid the other scripts triggering a password window and just passowrd protect this new directory and solve the problem correct?

I am not a perl programmer but I am familiar with installation and slight modification so if what to change in the correct script to point to the admin.cgi and index I can update my script myself.

Any help would be great.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Admin Access problems In reply to
It sounds like you've got files within your admin directory that you're linking to in your site. My best guess would be either an SSI call or a graphic file. When you hit the directory, you're trying to call a file in a protected directory and the password prompt is coming up.

Leave a URL and someone will check it out.