Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

500 error on admin/admin.cgi but not on add.cgi

Quote Reply
500 error on admin/admin.cgi but not on add.cgi
Subject line says it all. Both have the same permission, the same links.cfg, the same Perl, the same lack of ^M at the end of each line...
Quote Reply
Re: 500 error on admin/admin.cgi but not on add.cgi In reply to
Do you have the admin_html.pl file uploaded to your $db_lib_path directory?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 10, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
And do you have the FULL ABSOLUTE PATHS for your $db_script_path variable in the links.cfg file?

Maddeningly, yes. (And permissions on the dir is 0777.)

-mi
Quote Reply
Yes, it's there (perm=0755).

Also, I should point out that running it from the command line produces the "don't do this from the command line" error. So, the point of failure can't be a lack of load or of parsing, could it?

BTW, when this is done, I'd like to combine the descriptions with a CGI form I wrote. So we'll probably be talking in the "Links Modifications" forum in the [hopefully] near future.

-mi
Quote Reply

Quote:
Yes, it's there (perm=0755).

Uh...ALL your .pl scripts should be 644 (rw-r--r--) NOT 755. That is one of your problems.

Quote:
don't do this from the command line

Some of the .cgi scripts in LINKS cannot be run via telnet in your shell account, but only through the Web browser.

Quote:
BTW, when this is done, I'd like to combine the descriptions with a CGI form I wrote.

Actually, the first place to check is the Resource Center in the Modification section and FAQ sections before adding a question or searching the LINKS MODIFICATION FORUM.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Mr. Lee kindly wrote:
Quote:
Uh...ALL your .pl scripts should be 644 {rwxr-xr-x) NOT 755. That is one of your problems.

Thanks but rwxr-xr-x is 0755. 0644 would be
rw-r--r--.

Aside from that, you wrote "one of my problems". Since this does not appear to be an issue, what are the other ones?

Also, he advised:
Quote:
Actually, the first place to check is the Resource Center in the Modification section and FAQ sections before adding a question or searching the LINKS MODIFICATION FORUM.

Thanks. I did, and I didn't find an answer to my particular issue. It's silly to discuss details here, though, and also not worth it until I can get hands-on with it.

Thanks again,
-mi
Quote Reply

Code:
require "admin/links.cfg";

in both the add.cgi and admin.cgi files, then this is incorrect.

Your best bet is to use the COMPLETE ABSOLUTE path to your links.cfg file in ALL your .cgi scripts, like the following:

Code:
require "/ABSOLUTE/PATH/TO/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg";

I believe this is your other problem.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I saw the advice about full paths both in a pre-existing thread and in admin/admin.cfg. I just double checked, and used cut-n-paste with ls -l to rule out typoes. admin/admin.cfg already had the proper full path to .../cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg.

-mi

PS: I meant the particular issue I have with CGI, cookies (or dynamically inserting type=hidden fields to hold the info), and Links was not address. But as I said, I shouldn't have brought it up -- I jumped the gun. One issue at a time.
Quote Reply
And do you have the FULL ABSOLUTE PATHS for your $db_script_path variable in the links.cfg file?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Welp...I don't know what else to tell you.

I have provided all the suggestions I have at this time.

Good luck.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Micha: Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I'm now having the same thing, and it's driving me nuts. The links directory is working fine, but the admin is giving me a 500 Internal Server Error. I've made the changes recommended here (full path, checked and re-checked the permissions). Still not working.

What should the admin directory itself be CHMODed to? I've tried it at both 777 and 755 but neither have worked. Can anyone suggest what other file or directory could possibly be set wrong, which would give this error when trying to run admin.cgi?

I'm hoping that someone else may have a suggestion, or have dealt with this problem successfully in the last week. Anyone...?
Quote Reply
We can close this baby. I reinstalled, and this time didn't do whatever it was that messed things up on previous attempts. All is happy now.

-mi
Quote Reply
In case it's helpful for anyone having this problem in future, I'll post my solution - it turned out to be the .htaccess file which was causing the error, not the links script. So if anyone out there is getting this problem, try deleting your .htaccess and if the script runs fine, you know where the problem lies.