Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

500 Internal Server Error

Quote Reply
500 Internal Server Error
This is taken from my links.cfg file. I'd tried everything and anything but it keeps on saying 500 Internal Server Error. Please help anyone. (i'm on Hispeed Technologies).

# Paths and URL's to Important Stuff
# --------------------------------------------------------
# PATH and URL of Admin CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_script_path = "/usr/local/www/htdocs/ismedia/cgi-bin/admin";
$db_dir_url = "http://ismedia.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/ismedia/admin";

# URL of User CGI directory. No Trailing Slash.
$db_cgi_url = "http://ismedia.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/ismedia";

# PATH and URL of Pages to be built. No Trailing Slash.
$build_root_path = "/usr/local/www/htdocs/ismedia";
$build_root_url = "http://ismedia.com";

# PATH and URL of What's New page. No Trailing slash.
$build_new_path = "$build_root_path/New";
$build_new_url = "$build_root_url/New";

# PATH and URL of What's Cool page. No Trailing slash.
$build_cool_path = "$build_root_path/Cool";
$build_cool_url = "$build_root_url/Cool";

# PATH and URL of What's Rating page. No Trailing slash.
$build_ratings_path = "$build_root_path/Ratings";
$build_ratings_url = "$build_root_url/Ratings";

is Ace Frehley on this forum?
Quote Reply
Re: 500 Internal Server Error In reply to
What keeps giving you an Internal Server Error?
Which script??

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
All the *.cgi files. I have a testing file (test.cgi) which work when I execute them even in the Links Admin directory. But with Links program, it keeps on saying 500 server error. So, I believe that it is my links.cfg that I have not set properly.

Quote Reply
Well...as discussed more than once in this Forum...Check for the following:

1) Your Perl Path...make sure it is correct.
2) Make sure that your absolute paths for the $db_script_path and $build_root_path in the links.cfg file are correct.
3) Make sure that you are using the complete ABSOLUTE path to your links.cfg file in the require line in the .cgi files.
4) Make sure that all your .cgi files are set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).
5) Make sure that you have transferred all your files in ASCII mode.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot,
As I had already checked this through one by one:
1) Your Perl Path...make sure it is correct.
Ans: This is confirm to be the right one.

2) Make sure that your absolute paths for the $db_script_path and $build_root_path in the links.cfg file are correct.
Ans: This is the part which I'm not sure. I had already asked Hispeed Technologies (my server provider) wether is this correct or not, but there's no help in return. Gave up with them. But when I tried to change something there, an error occur:

Error including libraries: Can't locate /www/htdocs/ismedia/cgi-bin/admin/db.pl in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/local/www/htdocs/ismedia//cgi-bin/admin
/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404 /usr/local/lib/perl5
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
/usr/local/www/htdocs/ismedia//cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi line 28.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

3) Make sure that you are using the complete ABSOLUTE path to your links.cfg file in the require line in the .cgi files.
Ans: I had tried either method. The strange part is, when I entered

4) Make sure that all your .cgi files are set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).
Ans: Already set and checked thoroughly.

5) Make sure that you have transferred all your files in ASCII mode.
Ans: Did that more than 5 times.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Why do you keep asking this???

Anyway...the problem seems to reside in your absolute paths...I would recommmend contacting your hosting company and ask them what the paths should be because...the ones you are using are definitely incorrect.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hey Bioclef!

I have the same problem but fortunately for you I know the answer... only, I have to wait until i get to the bookstore tomorrow to get it...

Looking at those few lines in your script, I'd say it is correct... The problem is in the @INC array which perl uses to look for modules and/or pl files on the server...

In the cfg file, calls are being made to .pm and .pl files outside of the @INC array so it can't find them to access them and that's why you're getting that error...

NOT because you haven't configured everything correctly but because the files this program needs cannot be found!!!!!!

Now there are several ways to let perl know how to locate these files or to include these files in the @INC array itself... Unfortunately that's where I'm stuck too... The website that has this information is down and I returned the perl cookbook I was using to the library... *lol*

So! I'm waiting for one of my friends to get on AIM so that I can ask him how to point to my module directory during inialization... or however... I don't care as long as whichever method of telling perl where these files are works! *lol*

I'll come back here and post my results okily...

*snickers* Bet you prefer to have slapped yourself than post here asking for assistance for all the help you got on this matter!

I don't profess to be a *snidely* "Veteran" but even I could gather what was what with that recurring error message...

Take Care

-s-

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
NOT because you haven't configured everything correctly but because the files this program needs cannot be found!!!!!!
I disagree...the error messages indicate an error in configuring the links.cfg file.

In Reply To:
I don't profess to be a *snidely* "Veteran" but even I could gather what was what with that recurring error message...
Excuse me...Mad

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
ahem... i need an answer, not an arguement.

by the way, sorry Elliot, that's my signature...

Quote Reply
This was taken from their CGI FAQs. I'd tried all sort of things and even asked them. What one of the tech guy told me was that there is a double slash in my script, I'd checked all of them and confirmed that there's no double slash at all. After replied to his mail again on asking about the double slash, no respond till today (3weeks).

BASEDIR
On HiSpeed, your base directory is /usr/local/www/htdocs/<login name>/cgi-bin/

For example, if your login name is someone then you would insert the following into your webpage or script:

/usr/local/www/htdocs/someone/cgi-bin/

BASEURL
The base URL usually refers to the URL to your website ex. http://hispeed.com

However, sometime there is a CGIURL which will refer to the URL that your cgi is accessed. Ex. http://hispeed.com /cgi-bin/cgiwrap/<username>/script.here

Quote Reply
anyone?

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.
Quote Reply
Again...I think the problem is that you have not set the correct ABSOLUTE path to the links.cfg file in the admin.cgi file.

It should be:

Code:

require "/usr/local/www/htdocs/ismedia/cgi-bin/admin/links.cfg";

Regards,

Eliot Lee