Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

what will happen to links 2.0 after sql comes out

Quote Reply
what will happen to links 2.0 after sql comes out
is there going to be no more updates to links 2.0 after links sql comes out? or is all thoughts right now going into finishing links sql?

Quote Reply
Re: what will happen to links 2.0 after sql comes out In reply to
Um...the SQL version has been around for quite a while. I've been using Links 2.0 for about a year now and as far as I know, the current version hasn't changed much (2.0b5 --> 2.01). Don't expect another flatfile version as Links SQL 1.0 was Links 3.0, IMHO. I think a beta version of Links SQL 2.0 is due sometime this month...

--Drew
Quote Reply
I think that Links 2.0, and upgrades, has a little more going for it even in the wake of SQL. I don't see a redundancy here, just a different application for a different need.

It would be nice if the GT team could include donor code into another version but I do see the problems they could face if they did so.

What I would like to see is the add-ons creators giving GT full and unconditional permission to include their code into future updates of Links XXX.

Lets face it, Links 2.0 is brilliant, whoever uses it has to agree that its worth paying for or giving something towards payback time.

In my opinion 'flatfile' isn't done yet and shouldn't be discarded.

George E.D. Burville
Ed: www.appbe.com
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In my opinion 'flatfile' isn't done yet and shouldn't be discarded.
I do agree with that. If Links 2.0 had some of the flexibility of DBMAN to run seperate databases without hacking it to death (like runing each main category from a seperate database) I would probably never upgrade to the SQL version.

--Drew
Quote Reply
now that is an idea that i will have to think about. but soon my whole site will be running off of database, so i will probably just upgrade to links sql.