Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

verify links problem

Quote Reply
verify links problem
well :)

i have this annoying 'verify links' problem. it runs ok, but after about 50-60 links it stops...

and:
1, i don't have telnet access to my server :(
2, my isp will not give me more CPU time :(

is there still some way how to make verifying links function running correctly? i mean, i cannot imagine running portal without this function :(

thanx in advance for any advice :)

robo

Quote Reply
Re: verify links problem In reply to
You can download your database to your pc and run a third party link verification program.

--Drew
Quote Reply

can you point me somewhere where can i get such a program?
and how do i extract urls from the db file?

thank you in advance

Quote Reply
ĄDe nada!

You can find plenty of them at download.com. To extract the URLs, open your database in Excel or Access and copy URL field into a new spreadsheet and save it as a text file. Depending on which one you use, you may not have to extract the field first (I used to have one like that).

--Drew
Quote Reply
If you have a license for HotDog Webmaster 5.5 or higher then you have access to Linkbot which is pretty good at this sort of thing.

Much better than the links own verify system (well with my web ISP at least)

Quote Reply
gracias a todos :)

well i have been searching at download dot com but all the software i've found is or written for java (my pc doesn't execute java applets) or seems to check the links by BROWSING the site. i haven't found any in which i can import the urls and then check them.
anybody knows about such application
well and i don't have licence for hotdog... is it expensive?

thank to all :)

robert

Quote Reply
You may have to look elsewhere then. Looking back at my files, I found I had been using "CyberSpyder" and "BiggBytes InfoLink". They "browse" your site, but there's nothing stopping you from thowing all your links into one page, and pointing to a local file. I think I had to add anchor tags before it would work (that'l only take a few seconds to do if you know anything about spreadsheets).

--Drew
Quote Reply
hurrrra :)

i have found the best piece of link-check soft ever !!!!

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

try it it's incredible and it's free :)

thank you all for your time :)

roboooo

Quote Reply
Yes... Glad you found that one! I was using that and accidently removed it thinking it was something else and forgot the name and where I got it. That sucker's fast. Smile

--Drew
Quote Reply
Xenu & Infolink In reply to
I had a few problems getting Xenu to work with the text file that I created, but I was able to get Infolink working, and I like the program.

There must be some other way around this process instead of using a third party program to report the bad links. We experienced the problems with what appears to be bad links stopping the nph-verify about 10 months ago. Since that time we have found and deleted some of bad links, but the verify is still not working. So.....the third party program is picking up alot of links that need to be deleted manually.

The only alternative that I can see to get the site where it should be is to upgrade to Links SQL. It seems faster, and provides the information on bad links in a nice format.

Quote Reply
Re: Xenu & Infolink In reply to
Have you tried changing any of the settings in nph-verify.cgi to tweak the performance? Look for these:
Code:
# Set some other options.
$checker->remember_failures(1); # If it's bad once, it's bad.
$checker->max_req(5); # Tinker for performance. Number of requests to check in parallel.
$checker->redirect(0); # Should we follow redirects? Default is no.
$checker->in_order(1); # Keep the order.
$checker->timeout(5); # Number of seconds to wait.
Of course, they are only effective when the Parallel Checker method is used, not the Socket method.

I hope this helps.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
http://goodstuff.orphanage.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Xenu & Infolink In reply to
I neglected to say, you can also try the new nph-verify.cgi that is included in Links v2.01.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
http://goodstuff.orphanage.com/