Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

thinking of buying but....

Quote Reply
thinking of buying but....
Hi.
I am thinking of buying links 2 for now and Links sql later when / if the directory grows.

I notice on the demo ( links 2 ) that the admin centre has a warning that it is not password protected. Does anyone consider this to be a problem ??

Thanks.
Graham
Quote Reply
Re: [groberthall] thinking of buying but.... In reply to
What server are you going to be installing it on? It is completly possible to password protect the admin folder with .htaccess. The reasonfor this message being shown, is simpy to *warn* you that its not protected, and is open for non-admin people (i.e people who don't have login access) to modfy your database, and most likely delete/destroy it.

I have installed about 100-150 copies of Links2 in my time as an installer, and pretty much all of the ones on UNIX servers lets you password protect the admin folder (my protection script helps a lot Tongue).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] thinking of buying but.... In reply to
Thanks for that Andy. And you charge how much for installing and protecting ???
Quote Reply
$25US.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Sounds good to me.

Andy, you may be able to help with some other questions. I am trying to decide what to buy and I am leaning towards Links 2 to start with and then upgrade to links sql if the directory takes off. BUT I have to have some way of taking payments on line for listings. I see that GT are in the process of doing this for Lsql but it is not ready yet, and presumably not available for L2. Any ideas ???
Quote Reply
This is most definatly not possible for Links 2 (unless you do payment processing manually). It is possible with LinksSQL, but it would require a custom plugin to be written (no more than $75).

Either way, I would suggest buying Links SQL. It has far more superiour power (both admin and user side), and although quite a lot more expensive, I am pretty confident there is *no* other product like it on the Internet. GT have a great standard in their programming skills, which is why almost all of my programming/installations are devoted to their products :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I agree that Links sql looks good. I made a list of what I need a directory to do and it covers them all ( except the payment bit ) but it is a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that may not be accepted as readily as I think/hope it will !!!

( its a question of how much I can justify to the wife and $525 would be difficult Wink )

Last edited by:

groberthall: Sep 5, 2003, 7:43 AM
Quote Reply
Read the thred with interest......

The problem in relation to your wife is really something you have to sort out. Depends on what you wish to do and proceed with and how you view your investment. As a point in issue, there are massive advantages in the sql version. I imported (via Andy) over 300,000 links from dmoz ata reasonable price. Made me an overnight Yahoo and the authority and clout that goes with it. Little does anyone know that you can actually buy your way to the top, one of links sql best kept secrets.

Links is a bigger investment than the purchase price alone. There would be that plus plugins, and the dmoz dump. Figure on spending just under US$1000 on the entire lot and that would be a fair figure to contend with.

Before you decide anything there really has to be a business plan. There is also a word of difference between a site with a few dozen to a few hundred links painstakingly gathered over months and one with a few hundered thousand.

I am not sorry for the investment at all.

Andy was (is) a big part of it. Ask him for figures on the pay per click returns and you will get an honest answer. You will need a few hundered thousand links. And do not forget, when you import links from a dmoz dump you do not get the sites email addresses.

Hope this helps.