Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

parsing from links db

Quote Reply
parsing from links db
it is becoming more and more dificult to obtain search feeds from se's to backup the search that is provided from a links site. is it possible to parse results (as a backup) from another links site?

i am not talking about using someone elses db without their consent i am meaning a willing partner.

clickforchoice.com a new up and coming web directory and portal
Quote Reply
Re: parsing from links db In reply to
If you have a "trust relationship" or access to partner's web server (which is highly unlikely), you could use Net::FTP to connect and use that other user's database.

OR you could use LWP::Simple to parse data from another partner's search engine.

In terms of a major search engine, using something like Altavista Mod, is highly unreliable due to constantly changing query strings and permission to parse data from their site.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
yea i have been reading a lot lately about the altavista problems. what i was meaning was actualy having the other sites db as a backup search if a user doesnt find and maches on the site. and vice vice verser for the other site.

is that wat you where talking about (LWP)
i am not familuar with LWP???

Quote Reply
Yes...and that is what is used for spidering scripts and scripts like Altavista that parses data from remote sites.

Search the support forums for LWP...and you will see quite a few Threads where this module has been discussed and also code examples are provided...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks Eliot youre some man...