Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

modify.cgi - a few questions

Quote Reply
modify.cgi - a few questions
Hi! I was just wondering whether anyone could modify a link in the database, even if they they don't own the URL. Surely if anyone could modify any link they wanted to, the search engine could be abused and ruined. Also, when adding a directory, what do the 'header' and 'footer' fields apply to? They don't seem to do anything.

I appreciate your help, and thanks for a great script!

Dominik
Quote Reply
Re: modify.cgi - a few questions In reply to
1) No...The out of the Box Modify script asks for the person's email address and URL. If you have the email address posted in your directory, then Yes, anyone could conceivably modify resources. You should download one of the Modify Password Mods located in the Resource Center for enhanced security.

2) I think you are referring to the "header" and "footer" with adding categories NOT links. You can create different header and footer files for each category. You simply type in a file name, like artheader.txt file. Then you would create a artheader.txt file and upload it to the header and footer directory referenced in your links.cfg file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hi,
I have been spending all my time working on templates and have not yet had time to extensivley test all the workings of the script.
In my directory it will be unlikely that the submitters will be entering their own web sites. I would like people to be able to submit a modification to a link for my review even if they are not the original submitter, because I think people will call to my attention when descriptions are outdated and such.
From what you say here, am I to understand that only the original submitter can modify the link? In my own testing this did not seem to be the case, but of course I am running all my testing from the same domain... so maybe I am not getting the picture?
Can I make it so that anyone can submit a modification for review?
Thanks,
-V
Quote Reply
VSilly,

With the typical install of LINKS, only the LINKS submitter should be able to edit it. But there were loopholes found in this method, so new password Mods have been released to ensure that ONLY Links Owners will be able to edit their OWN links.

And of course you probably have not tested all the variables of modifying resources in terms of putting different email addresses in your records.

VSilly, I would recommend that you use one of the various review scripts to add reviews of resources in your directory, which allows different to add reviews of resources.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited November 07, 1999).]