Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

links called via ssi

Quote Reply
links called via ssi
can i embed my links interface within another we page, ie in a table within a page- i have several sites on my server and could put links on them all-
thus one index page is not enough-

would i change the template files and call them within ssi on my desired page?

also how can i allow others to embed an interface to my links and search line on their sites- ie different servers.

Quote Reply
Re: links called via ssi In reply to
Is this page you want to use located outside of the template directory and LINKS built pages? If so, then it would be virtually impossible to use SSI to call the category listings into that page.

Quote:
also how can i allow others to embed an interface to my links and search line on their sites- ie different servers.

Can you be more specific? Your question is a bit confusing.

Thanks.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
sorry to be confusing.

At present my 'links' is not available to the public. I have a links folder off my root directory which includes my Whats cool/ Ratings New folders as well as the index and main.css.

The rest is in a folder off my cgi bin.

I am in the process of uploading a lot of addresses and when i have done that i will make it acessable.
The idea if possible would be to 'insert' the main input page of links- (ie where the categories are and the search box)- into the middle of my existing index.shtml on my root directory.

This is the page that most people will come to. My Links would be a feature of that index page. The main links index would also be a page in its own right with a separate url pointing to it?

Is that any clearer?

The future plan would also be to provide a cut and paste code which people embedded on their page, where they typed in their search word and they were then directed to my links page with the serach already been carried out. Lycos do this. I thought it would be a good promotion for the directory.

Thanks

------------------
Thanks
Caspar
Quote Reply
If you're into Perl scripting the first part can be done. I'm not sure of the second.

You would have to make a new subroutine for site_html.pl or site_html_templates.pl (which ever you use) similar to sub site_html_home. Change the code so that it outputs only the category lists on a page without the <head> <body> tags and their info, without the menus, etc.

You would have to add a call to that subroutine in nph-build.cgi and make sure it generates an appropiate name for the file. It should then be possible to insert that file with an SSI tag in another page.

I'm afraid that I can't be more specific. When I did something similar it took a lot of hair pulling to get it right and it still has some bugs.

Dan O.

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited October 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
that can all be done by simply editing site_html_templates.pl and the home.html template..

remote searches can be done by just copying the form code onto someone elses html

jerry
Quote Reply
thanks for everyones help

------------------
Thanks
Caspar