Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

links.css Netscape problem

Quote Reply
links.css Netscape problem
Hi, I'm having a problem with my "links.css"
when pages are view with Netscape.

My PROBLEM is:

Netscape is changing the font of my top-menu-bar. (blue bar)

After testing everything, the problem stopped when I removed my links.css from the page.

I have gone over my links.css file but can't figure out where the problem is, I'm not familiar with it, and will appreciatte some feedback before messing with links.css, I'm afraid to take thinks out and mess everything up.

FYI:
home page: www.qdice.com
links.css (text version): www.qdice.com/qbusca/links/pages/links.txt

(Roll over link colors are also not working but I think is because Netscape doesn't support it, so I can live with that, unless someone knows how to fix it? My main problem is the MENU-BAR changing fonts, I can't live with that!!)

Thank you in advance for your help,
Patricio//

Quote Reply
Re: links.css Netscape problem In reply to

Quote:
After testing everything, the problem stopped when I removed my links.css from the page.
Then why use it? Wink

CSS is supposed to be a time saver, but the majority of people that use it end up: a) spending more time trying to figure it out, b) with pages that look terrible in certain browsers, or c) both...

Dan
Quote Reply
quote from my original posting:

"...I'm not familiar with it, and will appreciatte some feedback before messing with links.css, I'm afraid to take thinks out and mess everything up."

In other words, I would gladly take it out if that is the solution, but since I don't know what the consequences to my sites' links are.... I can't just "not use"

Further helpful feedback, is greatly appreciatted.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Patricio (edited April 02, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Uh...CSS files are NOT universally accessible. They only work well with recent versions of IE. Netscape does not handle CSS files very well.

There are really no negative consequence of deleting the .css file and codes in your template files.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Here the solution :-)
Create 2 .css one for IE and one for Netscape then put something like this :
Code:
<script language="JavaScript"><!--

var n=navigator.appName;
if(n=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"){document.write("<LINK rel="stylesheet" href="Styles/StyleIE.css">");}
else{document.write("<LINK rel="stylesheet" href="Styles/StyleNES.css">");}

//--></script>

Voila, Have fun :-)

If you have time take a look in this tread I'm still waiting for a solution thanks.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/005689.html

Quote Reply
...or you could just code in standard HTML that works nearly identically in any browser... Again, if CSS isn't a time saver (due to things like duplication of effort and bad output), then why use it? Very few people manage to code CSS effectively for cross-browser compatibility.

Dan