Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

how many ratings needed before...

Quote Reply
how many ratings needed before...
...before sites start displaying on the Top Ranked page?

I just recently installed Links, and went through the individual pages themselves, giving my own ratings to some of the sites in there (to kick things off, so to speak). However, after each build/regeneration, the "Top Ranked" page is still empty. (Note: I didn't give enough information before; my fault. I do not try to input votes through the admin interface; but by viewing the generated links pages, clicking on the "Rate it" links for several different sites and choosing a rating, and then rebuilding.)

These sites will have only one vote apiece...but is there some "cutoff" that determines when sites will start showing up on the Top Ranked page, if everything has no rankings yet? I can't find anything in the README that came in the download, and I didn't find anything on this site.

Quote Reply
Re: how many ratings needed before... In reply to
You cannot simply put ratings/votes via the admin.cgi.

This has been discussed quite a bit in this forum...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I didn't - I go to the links pages, click on the "Rate it" links, and put in the votes that way. Still nothing.

Could it be that because the sites have only one vote per, the script just isn't recording or displaying any of them?

Quote Reply
Welp...guess what?? You have to RE-BUILD your directory via the Build options in the admin.cgi in order for RATINGS, VOTES, NEW, HITS, ISPOPULAR fields to be updated.

Links 2.0 as default does NOT dynamically update these fields.

----this is a recording-----

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I know that, but my question still stands. READ In reply to
I have rebuilt this index about...oh, at least twenty times since I started rating sites in the directory. I always rate the sites through the pages themselves - NOT through the admin interface. Even though I have built and rebuilt the directory, whenever I go to the top ranked page, no sites show up there. I would expect the page to be blank if several sites were recorded in the directory but none of them had gotten any votes through the rate.cgi script (ie, through the directory pages' links)

After each regeneration, whether or not I have rated any of the over 100 sites in my link directory, I check the "top ranked" page. While the build script is running, I watch the output that it displays in the admin interface. However, despite all of these builds, no sites have been listed as "top ranked". This is why I was asking if a minimum of hits and/or votes per link was needed before sites began displaying as "top ranked".

I know this isn't a dynamic database - I know that for rankings, hit counts, etc. etc. to update, a BUILD process must be run (I do this about once a day, on the days that I do rebuild the directory). I didn't realise that I needed to state all of this to get an answer to my question, which is:

IF several sites are rated through the built pages and the rate.cgi script; and
IF the entire link directory is regenerated several times; and
IF the hits for the various sites are being recorded, and the counts are going up at each rebuild; and
IF no sites are being listed on the "Top Ranked" page;

THEN

Q: Is there some minimum number of votes that a single resource must have in order for it to be listed as a "Top Ranked" site?

Is there anyone out there who can answer my question, from the standpoint of a knowledge of how the Links 2.0 script works and/or a knowledge of its code?

Quote Reply
Re: I know that, but my question still stands. READ In reply to
Hello

Top sites :
a site need 10 votes to go in top rates

There is a FAQ in ressource center
and some explains in this forum about how change the number of votes...

Ciao