Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

building pages

Quote Reply
building pages
Why is it that i have all the links in my category page.. internally everything seems to be set up correct.. i can open my category page.. but when i go to view it through the internet i click on a link from the homepage and it brings me to a blank page. with in each directory each index.htm is blank. yet everything is set up correctly. but nothing come up.Please help
Quote Reply
Re: building pages In reply to
Hi:

What browser are you using? Some of them cache the admin pages so you can't build properly if you don't turn off caching.

Try building with Netscape - works for me every time. IE5 also works. IE4, however, caused cache problems for me.

Best,

Pamela
Quote Reply
I'm getting the same problem (see my post in the Unix installation section posted Sept. 15).

Not only am I getting blank index pages, but the build hangs when opening the first of these pages. My last message is:

Building Home Pages . . .
Subcategories: 1
Total Links: 2
Opening page: /export/home/moxp/conserv/www/links/index.html

it then hangs and never finishes.
Quote Reply

Quote:
but when i go to view it through the internet i click on a link from the homepage and it brings me to a blank page.

Have you tried viewing the source of the pages to see if there's any HTML code on them?

Depending on the browser you are using, Netscape will show a blank page if some of the HTML tags are incorrect. Especially if you're using tables in your layout. IE is much more forgiving.

What's the URL of one of the pages? We can go and have a look at it ourselves.

Dan O.
Quote Reply
I'm documenting my troubleshooting here since I think my problem is related to the one posted here.

Try this: go to your links.cfg file and set this variable:

$build_use_templates = 0;

The default is 1. I did this and the pages got built. So now I know the problem has something to do with links reading the templates.

If anyone has some ideas, let me know
Quote Reply
This happened to me when the links.db, I found to be empty during a build session. What I did is uploaded the copy I had on my computer to my server and did a rebuild and lo and behold they all re-appeared.

I don't know if this is your problem but it was mine.

Gerardo