Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

build won't build new CATEGORY/subcategory

Quote Reply
build won't build new CATEGORY/subcategory
I have tried I.E. as well as Netscape, i have tried to manually install a new folder with the new subcategory (that didn't works as i don't exactly know what it all takes, obviously to just install a new folder with nothing in it via FTP program doesn't do it).
Since a while already i can only build new by using the Staggered (Auto) function, now that i added the new subcategory -which does show up in the categories in ADMIN - i can't get the dam thing to install itself with any of the 3 build functions.
What could be the cause and what could be the cure?????
Quote Reply
Re: [useroo] build won't build new CATEGORY/subcategory In reply to
Well, would you post the exact error you get?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] build won't build new CATEGORY/subcategory In reply to
I didn't see any actual ERROR message inside the ADMIN!
(no camel either!)
When i hit the "Build all" link it starts building and it stops at about half of the categories (or half the way through) and the status bar (Netscape) says Document Done, meaning the build process is over half way through.
When i do "Staggered" it builds Step1 in 2 secs and i get a link at the bottom saying "go to step 2" when i hit that it does a bunch of categories saying at the buttom done in 2 secs but then it says building (next category)......
and that's it, no "go to step 3 link, nothing anymore.
When i finally hit "Staggered (Auto)" it rattles through the hole process and i see that the step 2 is all the categories which it takes a few pages to do as there are some 50 with some 4000 links in it. it goes through it all, but it still does not list the new category/subcategory all though that one shows up in "view categories" and of course there is no floder with that subcategory built.
Now comes the funny thing:
i just ftp'd some new links into the system and then hit the "staggered (Auto)" again - and guess what, the new links where all built nicely, just the dam new category wasen't!!!!
Can i simply install the folder in my FTP program, put the .index file in there (which is of course the "category templates HTML in my case) and that would do the trick????
Or what or how???
Quote Reply
Is your 'pages' folder (or whatever you have called it) CHMOD to 777? If not, that is more than likely why you are not getting the new file and folders made. You could manually try making the folder, and then CHMODing to 777, but you would have to do this for every page. Maybe a link to nph-build.cgi would be possible? If not, we will try and help you without a link?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] build won't build new CATEGORY/subcategory In reply to
I am glad you asked about this CHMOD 777!!!!
In my notes on how to CHMOD all these different files
i have this:
"CHOMD 777 = directory where Links pages will be created??"
meaning i have no clue which ones they are (but i am almost certain that is indeed where the problem is!!)
I know all the data files are chmod 666
all the cgi files are 755,
but which are the "directory" files?????

I have (within the ADMIN folder) the following other folders:
backup
data
HTML
LWP
templates
i know it can't be templates
and i guess it's not in data as they are all 666 (i assume),
backup i would think it ain't either,
and HTML and LWP i have no real clue what the
PARALLEL, PROTOCOL and HTML are for (they all have .pm files in them, is it those????)

Thanks for letting me know
Rud
Quote Reply
You are obviously using Links 2.0, not 2.01, so I recommend you check the following page for file permissions:

http://gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded&post=84226

Directory pages are your category pages, namely directories and .html files built by Links.