Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

admin area

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
admin area
Hi unfortunantly my template folder and my categories are builded with in the admin folder where my admin.cgi is in.

So i tried to put password protection but this protect my pages from visitors too.
Is there any mod or script that i can only protect my admin.cgi and not all of my directory?????

Please help,
i am unprotected!!!
Quote Reply
Re: [loucian] admin area In reply to
Why are you building in your admin folder? Surely that has no real purpose. Why not create them in a normal folder, called pages or directory or something? Crazy

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] admin area In reply to
But they are in a sub folder of admin directory called template.Thats the reason i get locked all of the admin's directory and subdirectories locked.
So i want to eliminate the protection only to my admin.cgi

Can you help me please?Unsure
Quote Reply
I think you are confused. The pages made are not normally in the /admin directory. The files in the admin/templates folder are actually the TEMPLATEs that are used to define how the build pages will look like! Noone except the admin (i.e. you!) needs to have access to them! Do you understand now? Crazy

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes that is what i meant.But if i add htaccess. to my admin directory i get locked categories and search results because the categories folders are builded in subdir of admin directory.

Got me?Help what do i do now?I have to protect my admin
Quote Reply
I think you are still confused. You DONT need to access the TEMPLATES for normal viewing, only editing and building! I dont know how else to explain myself! All the pages build should be outside the protected directory, so using a .htaccess file should NOT cause an error! Can someone else please try and help me make this clearer...????

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
When i create a category then it is automatically mada a folder with its category name.And this folder is beeing made in my admin folder. Am i clear ? I mean i may have any url settings wrong probably in links.cfg??Have you thinked of that?I don't know thats why ask help...
Quote Reply
You should build all of your publicly accessible pages outside your cgi-bin.
Quote Reply
Re: [to-ma-su] admin area In reply to
Yes how do i do that???My categories are beeing builded with in my admin folder.
Quote Reply
Edit the path/url variables in links.cfg so they don't build inside your cgi-bin :)
Quote Reply
My category url is:

/admin/Category/

In the admin folder are both admin.cgi and the category subfolder which is automatically made after i add a category.

So by adding htaccess to the admin folder i protect not only my admin folder but the categories too, from beiing seen.

Do you now understand?
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

but my categories that have been already done within the admin folder????
Is any way to remove them to a new folder with out making the same again???I have 400 catgories and may be more...

Quote Reply
Use telnet to delete them then do a rebuild.

cd to admin directory....

rm -r Category

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 20, 2001, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] admin area In reply to
No my server i think does not accept telnet and i don't know also how do i do that.
I s there any other way please.....

Last edited by:

loucian: Sep 20, 2001, 1:33 PM
Quote Reply
use an ftp client, select the cats, delete them. Change the path to categories to a folder outside of the cgi-bin, rebuild and there you go.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] admin area In reply to
Hey Bmxer,
Can you please be more specific?
I cannot understand your steps.
If i delete them, then i will no longer have them.Right?
Or if delte them and change the path from links.cfg then they will be automatically builded there??
Hope you will help me.

Loucian

Last edited by:

loucian: Sep 20, 2001, 1:48 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Or if delte them and change the path from links.cfg then they will be automatically builded there??

Yes.
Quote Reply
ok i did change the path to rebuild the cat outside from my cgi folder but when it encounter the first categories it shows me up this message:
Building Category Pages . . .
Building Category: Aerospace
Subcategories: 8
Links: 5
Making Directory (777): '/home/public_html/pg/Aerospace' ...Made. CHMOD (777) ...Done.
Directory: /home/public_html/pg/Aerospace
Filename : /home/public_html/pg/Aerospace/index.html

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open category page: /home/public_html/pg/Aerospace/index.html. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /home
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: el
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE : p_go2id=JgTJ7sOr_tmytZsLpvi7_Q; links=162x121x33x185; Visits=1
HTTP_HOST : satellitehit.virtualave.net
HTTP_REFERER : http://satellitehit.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi?db=links&html_edit_template=1
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)
PATH : usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/:/bin
PATH_TRANSLATED : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 213.249.33.167
REMOTE_PORT : 1260
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_URI : http://satellitehit.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_URL : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@virtualave.net
SERVER_NAME : satellitehit.virtualave.net
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) madna/1.31 anses/1.10 g2am/1.44 adutil/1.8 g2ad/1.78 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.6.6 OpenSSL/0.9.6

Can we fix that?

I ftp the folder where the subfolders of cat are builded and i found that the subfolders were chmoded 511.
Shouldn't they be 777 ??????
Now everytime a category is created i should chmod it manually from 511 to 777????
HELP i got 400 cat to build MadFrownUnsureFrown

Last edited by:

loucian: Sep 20, 2001, 2:16 PM
Quote Reply
Hey Paul,
i have found this in other thread written from you:
Quote:
511 is supposed to be the same as 777 but when making my mod to edit links.cfg from the control panel $build_dir_per is set as 777 but it always prints as 511 - 511 chmods completely differently to 777 - something like rwx-x-x

Installations - http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Mods - http://www.wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml

Does this give a solution to my problem??
I mean i have installed recently youe new admin mod so does this mod make my categories chmoded to 511 than 777????

Regards
Loucian
Quote Reply
The problem is your paths in links.cfg, nothing else.
Quote Reply
No they are not .
I have fixed the path to links.cfg but still getting this message when rebuilding

Quote:
CGI ERROR
Error Message : unable to open category page: /home/public_html/id/Aerospace/index.html. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi

Form Variables

Environment Variables
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: el
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE : p_go2id=JgTJ7sOr_tmytZsLpvi7_Q; links=162x121x185; Visits=1
HTTP_HOST : satellitehit.virtualave.net
HTTP_REFERER : http://satellitehit.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi?db=links&html_edit_template=1
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)
PATH : usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/:/bin
PATH_TRANSLATED : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 213.249.33.167
REMOTE_PORT : 1916
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /home/public_html/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_URI : http://satellitehit.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SCRIPT_URL : /cgi-bin/links2/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@virtualave.net
SERVER_NAME : satellitehit.virtualave.net
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) madna/1.31 anses/1.10 g2am/1.44 adutil/1.8 g2ad/1.78 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.6.6 OpenSSL/0.9.6

I have to manually change each category folder to 777 from 511 so it can proceed to the next bulding of category.
HELP!
i have searched the forum and i have found others running this problem but everytime the solution vary.Crazy
Quote Reply
How can you change the permissions of each category directory?

I thought you were building in a new location - why do the directories exist already?
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I think you have understood but you don't.

Read this carefully:

The problem exist only when i am going to rebuild categories.
When rebuilding and finds the first category to build it stops saying
Quote:
CGI ERROR
Error Message : unable to open category page: /home/public_html/id/Aerospace/index.html. Reason: Permission denied

Form Variables

Environment Variables
HTTP..........

That is the problem.

Now in order to get rid of this message i tried to ftp my site where my subcat are builded and find in this case the first folder which is named Aerospace and change permission from from 511 that is already is to 777.
Whith that way my rebuilding is get moving to the other category but i have to manually change every time the permissions to proceed to the next cat.

I hope you have all understand.
I f not post it here.I really need help!

Regards Folks
Loucian

Quote Reply
Well yes I do understand but you don't seem to be understanding what I'm asking.

I don't know how else to make it clearer. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Regarding

Quote:
How can you change the permissions of each category directory?

I thought you were building in a new location - why do the directories exist already?

Do You mean that should first delete all my cat from admin folder?[/quote]
Quote:
> >