Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

add links offline on win98 for unix-internetserver

Quote Reply
add links offline on win98 for unix-internetserver
Hello!

Is it possible to install links2.0 on local win98 server (with local web-server like: Xitami or omniHTTP) and to feed the db on my local PC and then upload the needed db-files to an unix internet server to display the Info on the Internet?

bye

Deniz

Quote Reply
Re: add links offline on win98 for unix-internetserver In reply to
Yes...

However, the better solution is to use MS Access and then export the table as a tab delimited text file, then take into Excel and then create a pipe delimited text file. Then save the text file as links.db and categories.db.

The important thing to remember is that when you edit your links and categories off-line, you need to do the following:

1) Make sure that the date format of your Date field is the same defined in the sub get_date routine:

Example:

01-June-2000

2) Then you will need to update the linksid.txt and categoryid.txt files to show the highest number of your ID number in your links.db and categories.db file.

And for the solution you proposed, you will need to download Perl from ActiveState in order for your .cgi and .pl files to work.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hello AnthroRules!

Thanks for you quick feedback!
Activestate perl is already installed,
and working. I use Xitami as local webserver.
What is with a sendmail program, is this not necessary for
links2.0 to run on win98 PC?
Adding records offline with access is a very good idea!

Deniz

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What is with a sendmail program, is this not necessary for links2.0 to run on win98 PC?
Not if you are adding links locally. It should only be used with "Internet" sites if you are corresponding with Link Owners and email subscribers.

This should not be a problem if you are adding links via the admin.cgi script, since emails are NOT sent out from that script unless you are doing the following:

1) Validating/Deleting Links submitted from other users (not a problem since you are adding the links locally).
2) Sending out updates to email subscribers.
3) Sending out updates to Link Owners (since you ARE the Link Owner of all the links...not a problem.)

Get it? Good!

BTW: For Windows servers, you need to use a window's based sendmail package, like one of the following:

1) Blat Mail
2) WinMail

OR use a SMTP server.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you!

It is very good not to need a sendmail program on
my localhost.

I've found the following link:
http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/softw/Blat.html
just wanna try out.

what means: "BTW:..."

CU
Deniz

Quote Reply
BTW = By The Way

Commonly used in electronic correspondences between English speakers/writers. Usage of acronyoms like this save time and space.

Regards,

Eliot Lee