Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Yahoo Subcategories Copyright

Quote Reply
Yahoo Subcategories Copyright
Frown
I've already installed the Yahoo Subcategories Mod, but one thing I would like to ask is, Do Yahoo! take legal actions to me if I use their templates?

Please see my beta site at searchmacau.com

Nuno Duque
--------------------
Macau Search Engine
searchmacau.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yahoo Subcategories Copyright In reply to
Yahoo won't sue you but your users might on the grounds of boredom.Wink Seriously though, just don't use their graphics (what little of them there are) and you won't have a problem. I am not sure about this but I bet their category and page layout is so generic that it would be difficult to claim copyright. All the major search engines organize their categories and sub-categories the same way. Besides, even if it was a copyright violation they wouldn't waste the money and time suing you unless you refused to take it down.

Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply.

Nuno Duque
--------------------
Macau Search Engine
searchmacau.com
Quote Reply
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is an OPEN SOURCE language, so you cannot sue someone for copying the layout of a site. Please read the MANY historical threads in this forum that discuss this issue.

Also...Yahoo! could sue you for using trademarked icons in your home page without prior permission...this is illegal, but copying HTML codes and creating an identical layout is NOT illegal.

Regards,

Eliot Lee