Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

What's cool! Is it?

Quote Reply
What's cool! Is it?
The what's cool doesn't really shows the most popular site. Let's say that I set-up the link script a year ago, and that links has been submitted regularly since the start. The links added yesterday would probably have to wait another year or more to get listed among the coolest sites even if they are getting more hits a day then the links submitted at the time the script was set up.

What about a script that calculates the coolest site based on the hit's submitted every day using all the hits from that particularly site in the calculation. (the average)

T J
Quote Reply
Re: What's cool! Is it? In reply to
Absolutely! I thought the current system was a little unfair when I installed my first Links directory around six or seven months ago and come up with the idea of simply dividing the number of hits by the number of days which the site had been listed.

I couldn't do this mod at the time as no one could suggest how, and I am most definately not a Perl man, but it might be a good time for Alex to change the system now - with the new Links... I have seen it done on another site, so I know it is possible Wink

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport
www.Ten-Tenths.com
Quote Reply
I agree.. A divide hits by days old check to give you a new "cool" rating would be useful. I'll look into it.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
We agree this would be the most sensible way of calculating cool links. Under the present system, it could take a long time for a great new site to be listed as "cool."

Has Alex had time to address this yet?

Thanks

------------------
HumorLinks Comedy Megasite, Search Engine, Humor DVD and Video Store

http://humorlinks.com/

humorlinks@humorlinks.com
Quote Reply
See the thread at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/001615.html

I hope this helps.