Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Unknown Tag: URL

Quote Reply
Well this is strange! The rating system was working fine, then suddenly I tried to rate a site and after I submited a rating, it sent me to a white page with text that read

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Unknown Tag: URL In reply to
Make sure that you have your field in your links.def file as URL and also check the rating sub-routines in the site_html_templates.pl file to make sure that you have set global variables for URL as URL.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hey Eliot,

The thing that I don't understand is that the rating sysytem did work, and the only thing that I edited were the template files, ie: rate.html, rate_error.html, rate_success.html and so on......

But anyway, I did look into the links.def wasn't quite sure were the info for the URL was! Here is the information for my site_html_template.cgi file:

# You can put variables here that you would like to use in any
# of your templates.

%globals = (
date => &get_date,
time => &get_time,
db_cgi_url => $db_cgi_url,
build_root_url => $build_root_url,
site_title => $build_site_title,
css => $build_css_url,
banner => ''
);

Should it be in this section?

Here is the sub-section:

sub site_html_ratings {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine determines how the top rated page will look like.

return &load_template ( 'rate_top.html', {
top_rated => $top_rated,
top_votes => $top_votes,
%globals
});

But, this is just for the actually top rated page, and that works fine. I could find anything else in the file that would apply. I appreciate your help.

P.S. In regards to your search.cgi, I just liked what you did with it.....was just wondering what actual search criteria you added, because I also went to your search tips page and notice there is a lot of stuff which is added. But anyway if you decide you want to sell the additions, let me know.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Please??
Quote Reply
Nope...Can't release my add-ons or re-sell them. Two programmers I have been working with have forbad me to release the modifications. And one of the add-ons, I paid money for and I do not feel ethically right about re-selling the script.

Sorry.

The place where you find the URL field is in the db_def section of the links.def file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited September 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Uh....what I meant by 'please' was if I could please get some help on the rating problem. I'm not concerned with your script, it would be nice to have those customizations but no big deal. Anyway, I did check for the URL field in the links.def and it's in there. Am I missing something here? Maybe I just didn't understand what you meant If you could possibly be a little more specific that would be great! This problem happens when you actually rate the site, (choose 1-10) the rate page comes up fine for each link.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Ok, I guess I'll ask one more time. :~)

I keep encountering this error while trying to rate a site:

Unkown Tag: URL

What can I do to fix it, because I am not to sure where the problem is. If anyone would be so kind enough to respond, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm not sure if more information is needed to answer this question, however if so, please let me know what I need to post!

BTW: I have already checked the area where Eliot has mentioned and it all seems to be correct....at least with what I understood of the response.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Hey Eliot,

I appreciate your patience! This is really the only relative .html file, every other page works fine, but I don't really think this would effect the script not to rate the site, that's why I said the "only thing that was changed was the (template .html files). I think it comes from somewhere else. But here you go, maybe I'm missing something, here is the main section:

<td width="100%"> <form action="<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi" method="POST">
<input type="hidden" name="ID" value="<%ID%>"><div align="center"><center><p><small><font
face="Verdana">I think that <strong><a href="<%URL%>"><%Title%></a></strong> should be rated?</font></small></p>
</center></div><div class="margin"><div align="center"><center><p><select name="rate"
size="1">
<option>--- </option>
<option>1 </option>
<option>2 </option>
<option>3 </option>
<option>4 </option>
<option>5 </option>
<option>6 </option>
<option>7 </option>
<option>8 </option>
<option>9 </option>
<option>10 </option>
</select> <input type="submit" value="Rate this Site"> </p>
</center></div></div>
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really think this is where the problem is. Isn't there a specific reason why the Unknow Tag: URL comes up?

Thank you again,

Steve
Quote Reply
Steve,

Since you said that you changed your template files, please provide a URL where we can access the template files, or save the files as .txt files and put them in a publicly accessible directory. We need to see the template files in order to debug them.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Again, the only cause of the Unknown Tag appearing is if you have not defined the tag in your site_html_template.pl or in the Database Definition section of the links.def file.

Your codes look fine.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Ok, here is the tag in the links.def that I'm assuming your talking about:

Definition of your database file.
%db_def = (
ID => [0, 'numer', 5, 8, 1, '', ''],
Title => [1, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', ''],
URL => [2, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, 'http://', '^http|news|mailto|ftp'],
Date => [3, 'date', 15, 15, 1, \&get_date,''],
Category => [4, 'alpha', 0, 150, 1, '', ''],
Description => [5, 'alpha', '40x3', 500, 0, '', ''],
'Contact Name' => [6, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', ''],
'Contact Email' => [7, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', '.+@.+\..+'],
Hits => [8, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, '0', '\d+'],
isNew => [9, 'alpha', 0, 5, 0, 'Yes', ''],
isPopular => [10, 'alpha', 0, 5, 0, 'No', ''],
Rating => [11, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, 0, '^[\d\.]+$'],
Votes => [12, 'numer', 10, 10, 1, 0, '^\d+$'],
ReceiveMail => [13, 'alpha', 10, 10, 1, 'Yes', 'No|Yes']

Then in the section right below that "Field Number of some important fields. The number is from %db_def above where the first field equals 0.

The url is specified as $db_url = 2;

The only thing I can see that I might be missing here is a field that specifies the <ID> which is 0, but it wasn't there to begin with.....should I add it in this section? If so what would the call be $ID = 0?

Then in my site_html_templates.pl file, here is what I have as the globals:

%globals = (
date => &get_date,
time => &get_time,
db_cgi_url => $db_cgi_url,
build_root_url => $build_root_url,
site_title => $build_site_title,
css => $build_css_url,
banner => ''
);

As far as the sub ratings as you said to ---------------------------------------------
"also check the rating sub-routines in the site_html_templates.pl file to make sure that you have set global variables for URL as URL.
sub site_html_ratings"
---------------------------------------------

This routine determines how the top rated page will look like.

return &load_template ( 'rate_top.html', {
top_rated => $top_rated,
top_votes => $top_votes,
%globals
});

But this only controls the way the top rated page appears...I think. Anyway there was no other section in this file that talked about sub ratings.

Anyway, I'm at a loss, I realize your busy Eliot, so when you get a chance to respond, that would be great! If anyone else would like to jump in and give some feedback that would be most helpful also. Thank you very much.

Steve
Quote Reply
Anyone........Please?
Quote Reply
Is there anyone that might be able to answer this question? I figured someone would have given a response by now. Anyway, I would really appreciate any help or suggestions as to where else I might be able to look for this problem.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Wherever URL is in site_html_templates.pl, see if putting it before the %in hash would work so put it like this
URL => $URL,
%in
%global,

You could have had it after and it could've gotten replaced by another Url that was in the in hash which was nothing.
Quote Reply
Ok....now I'm completely lost! The only section that I found that had url was on the very bottom of the site_html_template.pl file:

sub site_html_print_cat {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine determines how the list of categories will look.
# We now use a table to split the category name up into two columns.
# For each category you can use the following variables:
#
# $url : The URL to go to that category
# $category_name : The category name with _ and / removed.
# $category_descriptions{$subcat}: The category description (if any).
# $numlinks : The number of links inside that category (and subcategories).
# $mod : The newest link inside of that category.
#

my (@subcat) = @_;
my ($url, $numlinks, $mod, $subcat, $category_name, $description, $output, $i);
my ($half) = int (($#subcat+2) / 2);

I appreciate you guys taking the time to look at this! I know it has to be something so simple that I'm overlooking. Bmxer, I'm not sure I completely understood your response..... if you would be kind enough to maybe explain it again, or even show an example from the script I would really appreciate it! If it would be easier if I just posted my whole site_html_template file I could also do that.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Ok, i think my suggestion was wrong because what i suggested worked before but for the Title Tag, so yours may be different. If your gonna put your site_html_templates.pl file up, put it on your server so it won't take forever to load this thread up.