Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Too much info??

Quote Reply
Too much info??
Hi,

I was just looking at my links.db file, and noticed this:

1|Site Name|Description|field info|field info|field info|field info|field info|etc
2|Site Name|Description|field info|field info|field info|field info|field info|etc
3|Site Name|Description - when there is alot of information on any line it causes it to jump down to the next line like this|field info|field info|field info|field info|field info|etc
4|Site Name|Description|field info|field info|field info|field info|field info|etc
5|Site Name|Description|field info|field info|field info|field info|field info|etc

If you notice that line 3 does not continue to scroll horizonally......instead it gets bumped down a line and one record takes up two lines. I'm wondering what the limit is on flat files, for example, flate files only span across xxx amount of characters? I haven't really see any problems with it yet, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Maybe I should cut back on how much info I should put in for each record?? If I can figure out how to get a tag within a tag to work: <%tag <%tag%>%> it sure would help in saving db space. Haven't had too much luck with it though. Anyway, thanks for any comments.

Quote Reply
Re: Too much info?? In reply to
Hi,

Whilst I'm not sure as to flat file limits... the reason you're seeing the line bumped down is simply because you have line wrap turned on on whatever it is you are using to view the file. Link 2.0 doesn't put any linefeed or carriage returns anywhere other than the end of each record.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Martin

The impossible we can handle now
Miracles take a little longer
Quote Reply
Hey Catflap,

That's what I figured at first, but it's kind of strange that only one record is bumped down like that? No big deal, it seems to be working fine---I was just a bit curious on this. Thanks for your input.

Quote Reply
If it's a very long line, Windows breaks the line. Try showing the file in the unix shell (if you are on a unix)
John

Quote Reply
Yeah, it's a pretty long line, it's seems to be reading it, so, I think it should be ok......thanks John!