Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Seeking Vision from Links Jedi Masters

Quote Reply
Seeking Vision from Links Jedi Masters
I am currently changing my site to the Links 2.0 format.

Should I concentrate on the groundwork of my categories and links, or should I design a custom template to my site first.

I will be adding a few hundred links myself. Many of them will belong to several categories. Does anyone have a method they use to make this an easier process.

Thank you so much, and God Bless!

------------------
Elmer Harris
Benchrest Central
www.benchrest.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Vision from Links Jedi Masters In reply to
I'd suggest:
1. installing the default config. and testing it to be sure it works (you have to add at least one link to get the pages to generate...you can make it a dummy link and delete it later if you want). This lets you discover any server compatiblity issues right away.

2. Look through the resource center and decide what, if any, mods you should add. ADD MODS ONE AT A TIME AND KEEP BACKUPS! Test carefully after each mod is installed to be sure it worked right. Some may need you to add more links to be able to tell (like the three levels of new...you really need several different links with different dates to see the results).

3. Work up your templates to get the look you want. Basically, once I had the main page done, the rest of the pages went pretty quickly (just use the first page as a template for your templates!).

4. Add your categories and links! Category structure is important, so put some thought into it.

If you have problems, check the FAQ or post in the forums.

Quote Reply
Is CSS the way to go?

------------------
Elmer Harris
Benchrest Central
www.benchrest.com
Quote Reply
CSS is *not* the way to go if you want your site to look the same across browser platforms.