Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Renumbering IDs

Quote Reply
Renumbering IDs
I want to renumber my IDs. I am thinking of adding a 100 ( or 1000 ) in front of all my IDs. Instead of 8, I want 10008; instead of 11 I want 10011.

I know that I need to change the ID in links.db. I would also have to change any IDs in the hits.db. I have Glenn's Comments 2 installed and would have to change the IDs there.

My questions are:

Code:
1. Other than the above changes, what changes do I need to make?
2. Are there any other implications to changing the ID?
Gene
Quote Reply
Re: Renumbering IDs In reply to
Yeah that could be done.

You'd just need to make a little script which goes through the database and adds 100 to the ID column in links.db and to the LID column in comments.db

I would rebuild the directory just before you do it so that hits and ratings will all be updated.

You'd need to alter the linksid.txt file so that the next link added will be 10009 etc...

There shouldn't be any implications, at least none that I can think of.

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://findarom.emusanet.com/comments3/
Quote Reply
The problem is that if you reference any IDs in external communications with your LINK OWNERS or you are using any other external scripts, like EXTERNAL RATE it, then it will confuse your LINK OWNERS...not a very smart thing to do.

Didn't you already raise this question awhile back?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the info...I had forgotten the linksid.txt but I had played around with Links quite a bit in the beginning so I was aware of the need to change it. Glad you reminded me.

Gene
Quote Reply
An excellent memory, Eliot. However, that post had to do with inserting a field ( not adding it to the bottom of the field list ) and incrementing the field id number of the remaining fields.

I do not have the external rate it MOD installed. And most of the Link owners...well, let's just say that they probably don't have the ID or Password written down anywhere ( I installed the Password Modify MOD ). I could send each an email with the new info and add a short explanation on the modify page of how to update their ID if they wanted to modify there site. Most send me an email anyway to make changes....and there are only a few changes each month.

Thanks for your advice..if you think of any thing else, let me know....may try to do this sometime early Sunday morn....

Gene