Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

practical limit to e-mail list size

Quote Reply
practical limit to e-mail list size
Hi;
I am wondering what sizes of mailing lists others are running using the built in announcement feature on Links 2.0. What is the practical limit?

I am also wondering is anyone else had their mailing list db disappear on Jan 1, 2001. Was this a bug or something more sinister? Luckily I had a back-up.

Thanks

Chris Rawluk
http://www.showtheplanet.com
Quote Reply
Re: practical limit to e-mail list size In reply to
1) I did not use the Links 2.0 built-in mail feature because it attempts to send emails all at once without spawing any "child processes" (splitting the emails into groups and then mailing out to the list). When I tested it, the script choked at around 200 subscribers...and my hosting company also sent me a warning message about "excessive use". So, I used CGI Elite's subscription manager application. Now that I am using LINKS SQL, I have had no problem with its built-in email list functions.

2) Nope...didn't experience that.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Was this a bug or something more sinister?
I don't think Alex is out to take over the world! (or is he...Smile)

Happy Coding,

--Drew
http://www.FindingHim.com
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response. Right now I have 400+ subscribers. I was wondering if my host might have gotten a little upset with my mailing list size. If they did they didn't say anything, but I find it odd that the mailing list would disappear. Regardless, I guess it's time to move onto some thing a little more robust for mailings.

Chris Rawluk
http://www.showtheplanet.com
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
So, I used CGI Elite's subscription manager application.
I have to come back to that subscription management tool you had used before, Eliot: does that mean you have fully incorporated that script into Links 2.0? I am just trying to figure out how to use third-party mailing scripts in order to send out newsletter and mails to link owners...

Quote Reply
Are we talking about the "Targeted Mailing" Feature?

I have over 400 link owners in one particular category. I tried to send an Email to all in that category and got an Internel Server Error. If put in 200 Max Return Hits, I get a list, but anything more gets the error.

I tried to use >200 and then <200 in the Link ID field thinking I could send the message to the first half of the group, and then the second half, but that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Quote Reply
I did the same thing, sending to all site owners and was only able to get up to record 396 out of 700 (something) and it said done. so I then had the Debug Mode - No messages will actually be sent! checked and it showed me that it "did not send to" all 700 records. So I did it again and it sent 396 and said it was done again. Needless to say 2 e-mails to the site owners was enough, so I stopped. But I can only send to half of my site owners. Anybody else having that problem or had that problem and what can ya do to fix it. :)