Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

index.html doesn't display categories

Quote Reply
index.html doesn't display categories
Hi, someone else installed Links for me and the index page only displays the test category they created and not the categories included in Links. Can someone tell me why? Here's the URL http://www.jolliffphoto.com/EnviroSites/
Quote Reply
Re: index.html doesn't display categories In reply to
What do you mean by "not the categories included in Links?" Have you added any categories since having Links installed?

What was supposed to be included in your installation? It does not appear to be at all customized to your site, as you still have the localhost holdup seen in the CSS file...

The other thing I see is that your test category has five 'new' links under it, but only one of them shows up in the category itself. I'm not sure what's causing this, but you might be able to figure it out by comparing the different links in the admin section.

Dan
Quote Reply
There's a long list of categories on my server (with links that don't work) that, I
assumed came with links because I didn't create them (with the exception a few) and I don't think the installer
would take the time to create them either .

I don't know what to tell you about what was to be included in the installation. I
would assume that installation would mean a fully functional search site.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the localhost holdup is.

As for the 5 new links, I was playing and added the same URL under some different
descriptions. That may be why they are behaving the way they do.

This may qualify as a whole new thread but I'm also curious as to how the index.html
files show up in their respective category/directory and how to manage the look of them as there
is nothing by that name in the templates file.

Thank You!
--
Scott Jolliff

[This message has been edited by sjolliff (edited March 30, 2000).]
Quote Reply
UPDATE: I clicked "build all" from the admin panel and, viola!, there were the 5 categories that I had created but not the "categories included in links". Good? Well, in some ways. Now the index page doesn't relect the changes in the look that I thought I had made. Which I assume is related to my question in the last paragraph of my second post. FYI, I made the changes by ediing the index file from my main directory using Pagemill.
Quote Reply
I'm far too tired to think right now, but it sounds like your problem may be that you're editing the output index file and not the home.html template file...? The template files build the appropriate index file for each category or section (i.e. home and add).

If that's not it, I'll re-read your posts in the morning...

Dan
Quote Reply
Dan is correct.

You need to edit the TEMPLATE files in the TEMPLATE directory.

home.html = index.html (your LINKS home page)
category.html = Category Pages

etc., etc., and so forth.

Smile

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thank you both. Silly me, what was I thinking for the past 3 DAYS? It's only logical that index.html isn't called that in the templates file.

Each day is literally a new beginning for me with this project.