Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Yahoo Parody Site -- anyone interested?

Quote Reply
Yahoo Parody Site -- anyone interested?
I'm considering starting up a Yahoo look alike web site using Links. I have an NT server here doing nothing but collecting dust and would like to make use of it. Here's the deal: I need only one individual, possibly two, to do the art work and design -- similar to Yahoo. I will provide the equipment, database of well over 6,500 plus links into this new service call "YahooSuck.com." I will provide 100% free banners to your site using WebAdverts. Email me at cdxpl@netscape.net to discuss about this project. Hope to hear from you.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Yahoo Parody Site -- anyone interested? In reply to
 Use the word "yahoo" in a domain name and you might be sued. Look at the turmoil going on at www.yahooka.com . (Check the green news box on the righthand side of the screen.)

I am removing links to Yahoo on the sites I manage, replacing them with links to snap.com. Yahoo is no longer a service I feel comfortable supporting.
Quote Reply
If you had read that report carefully, Yahoo is merely trying to prevent sites from causing confusion to their many sites such as Yahoo.com, Yahooligans.com, etc. The site which is in question, YahooKA.com, which happens to be a "pot" resource portal, can be considered to be a part of the Yahoo network to someone who may not know it, such as a newbie. With my site, YahooSuck.com, it is quite clear that there are no confusion or affiliation other than the fact that the creators are simply trying to mock the services of Yahoo and we have the right to do that under our constitutional rights, free speech. Yes I must admit the name is pretty similar but Yahoo certainly wouldn't want to own or associate with a domain name that ends with "SUCK". Well, do you? With that said, it's LEGAL to own it and run a service similar in style to Yahoo. Now if Yahoo wants to sue me or my partners of their so-called copyrighted style, they may as well sue Netscape -- which is very similar to yahoo -- and many others.

Anyone still interested?

If yes, please email me directly to discuss further on the project at cdxpl@netscape.net

John
Quote Reply
All anyone has to do is do a search on the premiere database for tradmarks called http://www.namestake.com on the word YaHooka and they will find 2 entries. Yahooka.com & Yahooka.net. I interpret this as a very viable name.

I don't understand what the deal is. Looks like YaHooka is a very creative and well thought out name. I give them an 'A' for originality.

Quote Reply
If you read carefully, Yahoo is concerned about anyone using their trademarked name in a domain name.

Nevermind how ridiculously broad a claim that is, I wouldn't want to face a lawsuit because of it. People can sue for any reason, they don't need a good one.
Quote Reply
Hey guys, check out my preliminary Links Beta 4 site -- which is a Yahoo parody site -- at http://www.yahoosuck.com

Please note: There is no "s" after suck in the domain name. I will contact the owner of YahooSucks.com and ask if he wants to associate with my site.

John
Quote Reply
Err...rrr...Interesting ...... what's the <font color=red><b>Requirement</b></font> you want ? ...

Quote Reply
John,

Just out of curiousity...did you just recently purchase that name from someone....because I know yahoosuck.com has been around for quite awhile??

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Err...rrr...Interesting ...... what's the <font color=red><b>Requirement</b></font> you want ? ...
What are you talking about???

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry.....wrong paste » in ...... : L !!