Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Password protection easy from German site

Quote Reply
Password protection easy from German site
Someone here wrote (and I can't find it now) about a site in the German language that made password protection a snap. I found it and though I couldn't read anything I was able to use the service. You simply put in your userid and password and it pumped out the result. You simply had to cut and paste the result to your .htaccess and .htpassword files. I did it and the whole thing took two minutes. No telnet(I can't use telnet), running programs or anything. It was quick and easy. Now I wish I had bookmarked that site as a need to password protect another directory. Does anyone know the URL of that site?
Quote Reply
Re: Password protection easy from German site In reply to
 http://www.pdamania.com/encrypt.cgi

i just made it.. if it doesn't work tell me.. it uses SALT to encrypt as it's key so i'm not sure if it's gonna work on all servers

jerry
Quote Reply
It didnt work for me Frown It made the files, and they looked ok, fine , and normal, but when trying to access the admin.cgi, instead of being prompted for a password, i was told that page was not found, or renamed..

A couple times it sent me to some http://di. something-or-another url...

At any rate, it wasnt until i deleted the generated .htaccess & password file was i allowed back into my admin.cgi with no problem..

But im still stuck with the delima of having no sort of protection.. I tried to download the PASSWORD SCRIPT-MOD from the downloads, and its a broken link,. So now i really dont know what to do.. Any ideas?

Quote Reply

opps.. The response above, was for a previous message.. One that actually generated the .htaccess and password file for ya.. Sorry bout that.. But like i said, i still need a solution! Wink
Quote Reply
I tried copying the other .htaccess and .htpasswd (I modified the URL in .htaccess). I also tried the result of the web page mention above but nothing works. I guess my ISP decided to disable my ability to make additional directories password protected. I asked about it and they want to charge me $50 to do it. What a scam. Think twice before using Intergate.bc.ca as your ISP.
Quote Reply

Guys, its obvious we are not the only ones with this problem.. So we need a alternate solution to the prob..

Is there a mod that can be added to the admin.cgi that asks for the password?

help..

Quote Reply
I didn't need it, but the password it gave me worked fine even though it was different then the one already in my .htpasswd
Quote Reply
I think there must be a way to password protect a directory without having to muck around with .htaccess. I have some banner exchange software and the admin function is protected by a password. It works and I didn't have to do anything. I tried to read the Perl code but I didn't understand it.
Quote Reply
Hello guys!!

Same problem I have with the password thingy. I was not able to make my admin.cgi password protected till this time. Pls tell me if you guys found some simple solution