Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links mysteriously deleted???

Quote Reply
Links mysteriously deleted???
Have any of you had this problem? I havn't done anything with my database for a while...and all of a sudden all the links for a few sites dissapeared (about 50). Does the "Verifying Links" actually take links out...and delete them...if it doesn't find the site?

Any other thoughs...or ideas? Hacking?

Please help...

gmustuk
Quote Reply
Re: Links mysteriously deleted??? In reply to
Verifying links does not automatically delete links. What changes have you made to your links.cfg file or links.def recently?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I actually have not made any changes in many weeks. Is it possible that someone might have hacked into my system? (Even though it is password protected?).

Any other ideas of what could have caused this....(other than hacking)...and if no changes were made to links?

Thanx!!

gmustuk
Quote Reply
I checked the links db... and it looks like the first 62 links were the one's that dissapeared. I have no idea how this could have happened.... but luckily... links does a good job...of making daily backups...of the database...so I was able to copy and paste the missing links into the existing db.

My worry...is that I don't want this to happen again. And since I do not know what happened... it worries me.

GMS
Quote Reply
gmustuk,

always keep a complete copy of your "data" files on your hard drive every time you build - update. Yes links does keep great back up copies, but how would it hurt to keep an updated batch on your hard driver per build?

If it happens again, just upload from your hard drive to your server and do another build all and they'll all come back :-)