Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

LWP. . . or not to be. The Question.

Quote Reply
LWP. . . or not to be. The Question.
I have been having the same problem as a few others here, for quite some time now. When I try to use "verify links" the server usually times out, and doesn't check any or all the links in the database. If I disable LWP and use the SOCKS method instead it also fails. In other words, no verified links for a couple months now. I have a small database (~200 links) and this is rather annoying. My question is this: My web host, says that they have LWP installed on their server for us to use, but I don't quite understand this. Does this mean I should be calling their "LWP" module, or the one in the links/admin/LWP directory? If I use theirs, will it not time out? Any suggestions or ideas very welcome.
Aaron

------------------
www.serve.com/garden/links
www.serve.com/garden/aaron
www.serve.com/garden/board

Quote Reply
Re: LWP. . . or not to be. The Question. In reply to
I'm kind of new to the list but I am almost having the same problem, and if growth keeps up like it has been, I'll be unable to validate links at all in the near future. So my best advice is to validate all links incoming and hope for the best later.

I also have a real problem with people sending me junk email addresses which I refuse to acknowledge, for example: hotmail, yahoo, usa.net, and several others. I feel like if they don't trust me enough to send a real email address then forget it!

Sorry for the rant...

------------------
destiney - des’-ti-nêy - n. 1. diety of all things "html", 2. internet addict, 3. lover of late '80's heavy metal, 4. reformed ex-software piratier (got a job), 5. see also - "cool guy"
Quote Reply
Re: LWP. . . or not to be. The Question. In reply to
Keep in mind that a lot of people use those so-called "junk email" address as their primary address as many dial-up ISP's only allow one email address per account. So, if you have a family of three, technically only one person has an email account. Assuming that Dad's account is the ISP account, Mom, and Child go and get their own from a Free Email Provider such as Netaddress (usa.net), Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. This *is* their email address. So it's not a matter of them not trusting you, it's a matter of that's their email address. If you are deleting sites that use these addresses, then maybe you need to rethink your policies. Granted, a lot of people do use these accounts to hide behind, but the world of free email accounts isn't black and white. Some people do use these as their primary account.

Sorry for the rant and off-topic post. Just had to get it off my chest. Smile

G.