Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Intersting question? How many links can link 2.0 handle

Quote Reply
Intersting question? How many links can link 2.0 handle
hey how many links can link 2.0 handle
Quote Reply
Re: Intersting question? How many links can link 2.0 handle In reply to
It really depends....

If you keep the number of fields the same as the default install and do not add in too many characters for descriptions or extra add-ons, you should be able to have around 2,000 or so links.

However, the guiding measure is the size of your database file (links.db)...if it exceeds 1.0 MGs, than DBMAN will not function well.

If you anticipate that you will have a lot more links than 2,000 and you will be adding in a lot of extra fields with a large amount of characters, then you should consider purchasing a license for the SQL version.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I know this has been discussed several times before, but I'm curious on a few things.

1) I've seen threads say links can handle up to 5000 links? Or is it only 2000 as Eliot has said here? (BTW- I know it also depends on the server, but hypothetically speaking let's say the server can handle anything, and not make that an issue!)

2) I know that the more fields you add will determine the funtionality of links, but what does it actually effect---the searching only or browsing through categories also?

3) What is this based on? Heresay or has anyone actually maxed out their links database to where it will not perform well? If so, what does it lack in performance?

4) Ok, last question here: I'm planning on adding a total of 8 additional fields, and I'm assuming the database will grow to well over 5000 links--- so would a good recomendation be to go directly to the sql version? Oh yeah, how integratable are the mods that are offered for the standard links into sql?

I think that's about it....thank you for any replies.
Quote Reply
1) It is actually 5,000 (Alex posted a Topic after I posted this that stated 5,000 links with the default install of LINKS...without changing any of the fields in the links.def file).

2) Searching and building your index.

3) The number of links that Alex posted is based on his testing of the product...

Wink

If you would like to accuse Alex of hearsay..you got more balls than me.

Wink

I posted a lengthy reply on April 6th in the DBMAN Discussion Forum that addresses performance.

4) Yes...you should go to LINKS SQL...as discussed before, most Mods can easily be re-written to read and write data to and from the MySQL tables. Some Mods will take more time to re-write (including My LINKS and Recommend It!).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Cool...thanks! No, no accusing here...I was just more curious than anything. :-0
Quote Reply
How many links Links 2.0 will handle is very 'subjective' and depends on many factors. You need to assess for yourself in terms of searching and building. But if you are hosted virtually then your web host will probably make that decision for you at some time Wink

In my case, I have nearly 6000 (~1.5 MB) with one additional field (reciprocal link URL). Building does take awhile - up to 45 minutes but it's via cron during low peak hours. Searching is extremely quick - few seconds for the commonest search term using grep modified search.cgi.

However, I am hosted dedicated - but it's only a Intel Pentium II-266 with 128mb sdram.

I do plan to upgrade to Links SQL but it is not an immediate priority.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Hey Dan,

That's still pretty quick on searching though! Has anyone ever thought about seperating the build process to only build the specific category/categories of the new links? That seems like quite a while for building time..... I can only imaging how long it would take without telnet and having 8 additional fields and the same amount of links! I remember reading about "grep modified search.cgi" somewhere, do you see a big difference with it?

see ya
Quote Reply
Domenic:

I believe someone was developing that very mod but I cannot recall what happened. Have you tried the Resource Center?

BTW, I'm building via cron and not Telnet. I prefer to have it automated. Besides, it only hampers my server for less than an hour from midnight to 1:00am (Pacific Standard Time; PST). As long as it completes (and it does), I'm happy. But once it goes much over an hour, I'll upgrade to Links SQL.

The grep-modified search.cgi makes a huge difference (at least in my case) in terms of speed and demand on server cpu. Best mod I've installed.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply

Quote:
How many links Links 2.0 will handle is very 'subjective' and depends on many factors.
My namesake said it best. Smile I think I may have posted this response to dan in another thread:

When I switched from Links 2 to Links SQL, I had about 5,100 links and a links.db of around 900k (no added fields). I saw no loss in performance and builds via cron or telnet took about a minute and a half on a virtual server. I imagine I was getting pretty close to capacity, but everything worked perfectly fine up to that point.

That said, if you know you'll be exceeding 5,000 links, there's really no reason to put off the upgrade. Many of the common mods are built into Links SQL.

Dan
Quote Reply
Ok....it's good to hear input like this! Well, I guess with that all said, I might has well just make the jump to the sql version very soon. Kinda sucks, because I was just starting to get semi-comfortable with links and modifing it!! :-) Dan Kaplan: Was the transition in upgrading very difficult?
Quote Reply
The installation itself is easy, because Alex does that part for you! Wink I'm still not nearly as comfortable with MySQL as I am with flatfile, but the learning curve for the program itself isn't too steep.

Administrative feature-wise, it's no contest. Links SQL can do so many things and so easily that it hardly seems fair to compare them. I just wish I knew more about it...

Dan
Quote Reply
That's sweet....well I guess I'll be looking forward to getting it then! :-) Thanks everyone for your replies...I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The grep-modified search.cgi makes a huge difference (at least in my case) in terms of speed and demand on server cpu. Best mod I've installed.

Dan Smile
Where is this mod? There are several search mods in the Resources
( http://gossamer-threads.com/...ications/Version_2_x ),
but I can not find this one.

Quote Reply
The grep mod is located in the Perl dump Thread in this forum...Search for Perl Dump grep in the Links DiscussioN Forum and use Add option in the forum's search form.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you again, Eliot. I think you are referring to:

Perl Core Dumps
http://gossamer-threads.com/...isc&Number=77722

Quote Reply
You're welcome...And, yes, that is Thread I am referring to.

Keep in mind that these codes tend to screw up other Modifications and built-in search features...

I deleted the grep codes because they negatively affected the following:

1) And/Or
2) Category Search
3) Relevancy Search (my own and not for public use)

Regards,

Eliot Lee