Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Help - Move directory structure of links

Quote Reply
Help - Move directory structure of links
Greetings,

I have installed links and am almost finished testing. Now I need to move the directory structure in which links operates? Can I simply change the config statemnts in the .conf file and delete all files and directors and then rebuild?

Here are the details.....

Curr. Structure.... /hr/links/*

Desired Strucure.... /links/*

Thanks,

Todd

ps... I am using templates....TAG...>

[This message has been edited by tgoodman (edited April 19, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Move directory structure of links In reply to
We moved our directory structure from one directory to another without a problem just reconfiguring all the configuration options that have to do with it.
One downfall to this though, we noticed that the excite bot had already crawled through our site, with 580 categories, so all those links inside of excite and whoever else crawled our site are now invalid. Just something to think about before moving them to another directory.
Quote Reply
To second Visionary's statement, you shouldn't have any problems. I changed my directory structure early on, taking the "/pages/" out to simplify the recommended structure. The only downside was having to remove the nearly 4,000 files that had been build due to a setup error I had. Smile

If you have been testing, like me, you probably don't yet have your links linked from your site, thus being spidered already shouldn't be a problem.

Dan
Quote Reply
1. Change All Config Files.

As I recall, this only needs to be done in two places in the links.cfg file.

2. Delete All files and dir's of current "static" links pages.

I prefer to delete all the old structure to make sure nothing is left behind. Just be careful not to delete any images you might have at the top of the links directory.

3. Set up new dir's with correct permissions.

Assuming you are building one level down from your public_html/ (for example), you only need to set up the one directory which you declared in links.cfg. All others should be created by the build routine.

4. Rebuild all pages into the new dir structure.

That should do it!

Dan
Quote Reply
Yes,

Not many links yet to move! Wink Question though:

Do I need to delete all files below the /pages/ dir or will they be takencare of?

So steps as I understand:

1. Change All Config Files.
2. Delete All files and dir's of current "static" links pages.
3. Set up new dir's with correct permissions.
4. Rebuild all pages into the new dir structure.

Please edit or comment where needed.

Thanks,

Todd
Quote Reply

Quote:
Do I need to delete all files below the /pages/ dir or will they be takencare of?

You will have to delete the directories/files yourself. If you have telnet access and it is a UNIX/Linux system, you can do it easily by going to the parent directory (the one above /pages/) and typing the command:

rm -R pages

Otherwise, you will need to delete them either via ftp or using a file manager like the Gossamer Threads Fileman script.
Quote Reply
Hey Thanks to all.

Dan it worked like a charm.

Bobsi I did it the hard way but thanks for the tip will use it next time.

It is all coming together nicely.

Todd