Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

can't get templates to work

Quote Reply
can't get templates to work
I'm trying to get my templates to work, but it just keeps looking like the normal template. in links.cfg i set $build_use_templates = 1. is there something else i have to do? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [blackdog] can't get templates to work In reply to
Need more details...

Are you wanting to use the default templates, or do you have a different set? If you have a custom set, they need to go in place of the originals; put the new ones in the template directory in place of the old ones. They should have the same names, unless you've done some work in the Perl code.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] can't get templates to work In reply to
sorry for not being specific enough. I'm trying to use a custom template. i uploaded my template into the directory yet when i go to the page, it looks like the default template. i double checked to make sure my template was there... i downloaded the home.html and sure enough it was my template, not the default. so is there something else i have to do to get this to work?

thanks
Quote Reply
try clearing your browser's cache and rebuilding.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] can't get templates to work In reply to
Can you provide us a URL of your links homepage. Also, I do not know how much you know about links 2.0, but everytime you do a tweak or a mod you need to rebuild the directory from your admin script for any changes to show up.

Stu2000

- Top 100 forums / GT Links 2.0 websites -
Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] can't get templates to work In reply to
Here's the links homepage: http://amazingbanners.com/index2.htm

I know nothing about links 2.0... so i'll just tell you exactly what i did. i went to the control panel clicked edit templates and added the coding for my template and hit save template. in the template help section, it says that you have to turn on $build_use_templates in the links.cfg, so i did that. is there something else i need to do?

thanks
Quote Reply
You're trying to use templates you downloaded from somewhere, that you know work, right? Copying through the admin is OK, or you could upload them over (overwriting) the originals. Then, ya gotta hit "build all" and shazzam, it should work.

Say more about the templates you're trying to use, if they're not working still.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Look at your links.cfg file... your pages are located at http://www.amazingbanners.com/links/pages.

BTW, you should really consider password protecting your admin directory.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] can't get templates to work In reply to
haha can't believe i was looking at the wrong page. thanks.

there's just one problem... the template is supposed to look exactly like the main page, (amazingbanners.com). All of the images load in the correct spaces but none of the background images or colors work. anyone know why?

thanks
Quote Reply
Because you have not properly referenced the background image and colors.

You should use something like:

<body background="/images/background.gif">

Now, if you are using the CSS file for your font colors, you will need to change the $build_css_url variable in the links.cfg file.

Also, you will need to reference the correct path to your images within the links.css file.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me