Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Can I use Includes?

Quote Reply
Can I use Includes?
I'm trying to use Links but use it as a way to organize my community directory. I don't really want to have people be able to add urls.. I want to do that by the Administration script. I would like to simply have a layout such as yahoo.. but really probably as I currently have it when I did this by hand. I have two areas that I want to havelook different. I suppose if I had two different version of Links going at the sametime it would handle these two separate sections.. since thelayout is different on each.

The question really is is there a way to use server side includes (SSI)
to accomplish this so that Ican use the front page I'm currently using?

Anyone interested can take a look at my site. it's at PriceCatcher.com
I'd appreciate any response .. I made this community site completely by hand and I realize I should have used a program like Links. Now I want to miagrate toward LINKS. Can anyone giveme advice on how to do this?
I've got Links up and it appears to be working.. though for some reason I'm getting errors when I use the "BUILD" commands..but the admin script seems to add categories and links fine.

Thank you for any response.
Regards,
Ruben
Ruben@PriceCatcher.com
Quote Reply
Re: [user2342] Can I use Includes? In reply to
You can't use SSI Includes in Links 2 (unless you create .shtml pges, but this would only work on built pages)....

Your other bet, is to install the Enhanced Templates mod, which can be found in the resources section, and use;

<%include filename.txt%>

filename.txt will need to be in the /templates/ folder for Links to find it Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Can I use Includes? In reply to
Thanks for your response. Here can I find the "resources section" sorry I"m new to this. Thank you
Ruben
PriceCatcher.com

-----------------------------
Your other bet, is to install the Enhanced Templates mod, which can be found in the resources section, and use;

<%include filename.txt%>

filename.txt will need to be in the /templates/ folder for Links to find it Tongue[/reply]
Quote Reply
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...es/Detailed/877.html

Not really that hard ot find Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy, thank you. I dug around and found it..sorry for the hassel.
Ruben
Quote Reply
Where can I find filename.txt Apparently you mean that I change it the nameofthefile.txt I guess I'm kinda lost here. So I'm calling filename.txt.. you mean that whatever I'm calling.. it will be a certain name based on what i want to appear on my text. But what is the connection here with me placing that file in the templates file? I would add a file by the admin script.. will the admin script find it if I move it to the tempates file?
Ruben

<%include filename.txt%>

filename.txt will need to be in the /templates/ folder for Links to find it
Quote Reply
Erm, then you just change the filename.txt to whatever file you want to include. For example, if you had a file called menu.html, then you would use;

<%include menu.html%>

Its pretty basic ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you for your response.. but did your message get cut off at the top? Thanks, Ruben

In Reply To:
Erm, then you just change the filename.txt to whatever file you want to include. For example, if you had a file called menu.html, then you would use;

<%include menu.html%>

Its pretty basic ;)
Quote Reply
Nope. I dont know how to make this any more exaplained without doing it for you! Crazy

Open up the template you want, e.g. category.html. In that template, enter something like;

<%include menu.html%>

Then save it, and rebuild your directory. Thats the best i can explain it!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you! It's starting to make more sense. usually if I keep at it I get it.. Thanks for your help!
Ruben
PriceCatcher.com
Quote Reply
Hi, I think I get it. Now in order for me to include this stuff on my frontpage woudn't I need to make a contexual link such as
<%include /cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/templates/file.html%>

Otherwise how would the main page know that it was even dealing with the links program?

-Ruben
PriceCatcher.com

In Reply To:
Nope. I dont know how to make this any more exaplained without doing it for you! Crazy

Open up the template you want, e.g. category.html. In that template, enter something like;

<%include menu.html%>

Then save it, and rebuild your directory. Thats the best i can explain it!
Quote Reply
Hi....you can't use paths of the files, but rather just files that are located in the /admin/templates/ folder.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk