Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

install on local machine, then upload files???

Quote Reply
install on local machine, then upload files???
howdy gang,
I'm interested in using links 2.0 but i dont think my hosting service will let me run it with over 20,000 links. And as a non profit organisation we cant afford linksSQL.

Is it viable to run the batch job of links 2.0 on a local machine then upload all the changed pages?

if so, will this kill the search, whats new, add a site and other such functions?

thanks for your time and/or energy
porkleg
Quote Reply
Re: install on local machine, then upload files??? In reply to
Getting your links.db file put together and maintained locally is fine.

The problems are the following:

1) The nph-build.cgi file for regular LINKS 2.0 will kill your CPU usage and server resources with that many links.

2) In addition, most likely, your nph-build.cgi file will not complete building your directory based on restrictions of time rates for CPU usage.

3) In terms of searching a flat file with 20,000 records, most browsers will time out, especially with the average connection rate to the Internet between 26.4 and 33.4 kps.

Your best option is the following:

1) Break up your links.db into multiple database files.

2) Use multiple copies of links.db.

Also, Alex does provide discounts to educational institutions and non-for-profit organizations. Contact him and see if you can get a deal on LINKS SQL, which is the best choice for your situation!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
thanks for the tips eliot,

do you know if there are any examples of links 2.0 being broken up for use with many links?

and do you know if linksSQL will run well with 20,000 links+ or will it still have timeout issus on ther server and client sides...

thanks
porkleg
Quote Reply
1) I know of people who are using multiple copies of LINKS in their web sites. I am using two database files for mine, but I am not about to release the codes, because they are a bit messy and also the administration of these two database files is time consuming.

2) MySQL and ODBC can handle between 25,000 and 40,000 records for each table based on the amount data you are inputting for fields in these databases.

Final suggestion...UPGRADE to LINKS SQL!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
thanks eliot,
i'm glad someone finally came out and told me it was the only way to go. I've been kidding myself thinking it can be done smoothly with Links2.0

Looks like we'll be scraping up the cash for LinksSQL...

cheers
Quote Reply
Well...this has been discussed in this Forum before. There are other Threads that discuss the "upper limits" of LINKS in terms of number or records.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------